S-10 Forum banner

Build Ideas… lord help me lol

5K views 78 replies 12 participants last post by  gmorin07 
#1 ·
Ok so long-ish thread lol… I was going to do a 5.7 swap, then a LSx now I think I just may take the 106k mile 2.8 and revive it for now. Here is what I have so far:

Headers-https://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/69370/10002/-1

Holley TBI-http://www.performancecenter.com/item/90943-holley-502-3-400-cfm-two-barrel-throttle-body

Edelbrock Intake-https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/3789/10002/-1

Comp Cam-https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/SK16-233-4/10002/-1

Roller Rockers-https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/1414-12/10002/-1

Edelbrock Valve Covers-https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/4488/10002/-1

Edelbrock Air Cleaner-https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1208/10002/-1

K&N Filter-https://www.knfilters.com/e-1065-replacement-air-filter?gclid=CjwKCAiAy_CcBhBeEiwAcoMRHK3dfbiHVxZ7S4_Q9sLSf6FD-MZpN2c9ZMYt2G0vta114akRHFqWlBoCsu8QAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAiAy_CcBhBeEiwAcoMRHK3dfbiHVxZ7S4_Q9sLSf6FD-MZpN2c9ZMYt2G0vta114akRHFqWlBoCsu8QAvD_BwE

Walbro Fuel Pump-https://walbrofuelpumps.com/chevrolet-s10-pickup-1986-1993-fuel-pump-6-cyl-2-8l.html

Exhaust will be custom dual back with dual mufflers, not sure which muffler yet.
Then

Then a S10 bucket interior with new door cards and center console… not sure on steering wheel yet.

Shifter-https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/shifters_components_and_accessories/automatic_shifters/unimatic/parts/80775

Griffin Radiator-https://www.ebay.com/itm/313980624547

Dual Fans-https://www.ebay.com/itm/142666270828

Car stereo is just a transfer from my car… anyway if I am missing anything or alternate ideas please let me know.

Thank You
Glenn

See less See more
#2 ·
How do you plan to use the '86 truck, and is it 2WD or 4WD? Is the current 2.8 engine a TBI setup w/ 4 speed AT? What is the projected goal/ objective for the engine/ drivetrain? Do you have a projected budget (w/ contingency)?

#5 ·
I would do it in stages. Get the stock engine in using existing exhaust. Get it running with the new pump, intake and holley tbi. Adjust the tv on the 700. Test everything. Tune and learn the tbi.

Stage 2
Do your cam checking distributior gear material matches, rockers, and pushrods. Gaskets and a relearn/tune on the tbi.

Stage 3 exhaust headers and the rest back. Tune and relearn.

Going to cost you a few more gaskets(rock auto) and take more time. But if you have an issue you can take less steps back troubleshooting.

#7 ·
I would do it in stages. Get the stock engine in using existing exhaust. Get it running with the new pump, intake and holley tbi. Adjust the tv on the 700. Test everything. Tune and learn the tbi.

Stage 2
Do your cam checking distributior gear material matches, rockers, and pushrods. Gaskets and a relearn/tune on the tbi.

Stage 3 exhaust headers and the rest back. Tune and relearn.

Going to cost you a few more gaskets(rock auto) and take more time. But if you have an issue you can take less steps back troubleshooting.
Engine is in currently…the TBI would be a Holley 400cfm.

what do you mean tune? I thought you could get a chip to tune for all upgrades? Which im not sure which to get lol.

Exhaust and headers yea those are pretty straight forward…

I still don’t what you mean tune lol

#8 ·
I am doing the same as you, same thoughts at begging then change my mind and keep the 2.8, well in my case is 3.1 any way I agree with cerial, try doing it with stages.

1-. 4.3 tbi unit, bored intake manifold, electric fans, edelbrock 14" air cleaner.
Im buying the tbi unit and the manifold in the junk yards so if something goes wrong I can go back with my original parts, also can mod the tbi but I dont know if really work that mods, everybody says that gives better responds.

2-. hiflow cat and 3" pipe
3-. headers custom made

one time this steps get done gonna start with the cam and rockers etc.

one recommendation is that the radiator is not gonna work, you need to swap the inlet outlet tanks, 3 months ago was trying to buy one because my radiator get fissured, tomorrow I can put a Pic of the radiator you need.
dont go abruptly with the mods, and go by stages if something goes wrong you can go back and troubleshoot because you have less variables to deal with.

#10 ·
Nothing to do with terminator.

These TBI Units Are Larger Than Stock And Designed As A Direct Replacement Of Your Factory Throttle Body. Often Used To Replace A Worn Out TBI This Unit Also Makes A Noticeable Improvement In Performance Over A Brand New Stock TBI.

The 2.8l iron intake manifold doesn't flow very well (the Mpfi engines have the best intake of course.), I can't see this being worth the money without intake and head work.

• Wow
Reactions: oldeerslayer
#14 · (Edited)
The description on their website says
full range Dynamic Spectrum Tuning of the air/fuel ratio, ignition advance, transmission and various other parameters.
BUT the description of their
Jet Performance Dynamic Spectrum Tuner Programmer
$574.95
which you need to do tuning on their chip, says OBD II only, 1996 and later.
Also the chip pictured on Summit appears to plug into an OBD II style port.
On Jet's site I found pics of other models
Computer data storage Font Rectangle Electronic device Electronics accessory

Don't see how you could plug a laptop into those, tho.
I also found it interesting that the minimum requirements for the needed laptop were extremely outdated. (30 years old)

-Pentium 266
-Windows 98
-64 MB RAM
-800 x 600 display resolution
-20 MB free hard drive space
To explain how outdated those requirements are my 2021 Dell laptop has 1.5 Terra Bytes of free space. That's 1,048,576 MB or 52,428 times as much storage. Things have changed between Windows 98 (in 1998) and Windows 11-22H2, the current system.
I believe this link is more accurate than Summit's

#15 ·
Anyone use these?

The description on their website says

BUT the description of their
Jet Performance Dynamic Spectrum Tuner Programmer
$574.95

which you need to do tuning on their chip, says OBD II only, 1996 and later.
Also the model pictured appears to plug into an OBD II style port.
Although on Amazon I found pics of other models
View attachment 370426
Don't see how you could plug a laptop into those, tho.
I also found it interesting that the minimum requirements for the needed laptop were extremely outdated. (30 years old)

-Pentium 266
-Windows 98
-64 MB RAM
-800 x 600 display resolution
-20 MB free hard drive space
To explain how outdated those requirements are my 2021 Dell laptop has 1.5 Terra Bytes of free space. That's 1,048,576 MB or 52,428 times as much storage. Things have changed between Windows 98 (in 1998) and Windows 11-22H2, the current system.
yea I would say so lol… I just want to figure out how to tune this 2.8???

#24 ·
You could dump a ton of money into a 2.8l and still not be as good as what GM ended up doing with the motor. LZ9 3.9l and 240hp/240tq with very wide power band, it would probably cost less to adapt that motor than it would to build a 2.8l and have a better engine.

Reactions: PeteD
#27 ·
Is a stock intake just gonna port and polish, I get it for $25 dolars, just have some spider webs.
About the tunning I think we can do it with tunerpro, im blowing the dust and refreshing my college years and trying to build a interface OBD1 bluetooth with arduino and burn some chips for the ecm

#34 ·
Ha! No, man. That's a jab at me. I get annoyed with the poster saying "i wanna do this to my s-10 with the stock motor...what can i do?", followed by the, "well man, LS swap it...or SBC it....or something man...don't waste your time or money on it " rhetoric. Especially without knowing what your situation even is.

#35 ·
… I was going to do a 5.7 swap, then a LS
He was already planning on a V8 swap. I told him with the money hell waste on his stock engine, he'd be better off doing the v8 swap. Many V8s, probably like the mid 70s 305 you guys used came with 160hp from the factory.
ill always recommend a V8 swap.
i gave my daughter a 350hp v8 blazer for her 16th birthday.

its all relative in the end..

#36 ·
He was already planning on a V8 swap. I told him with the money hell waste on his stock engine, he'd be better off doing the v8 swap. Many V8s, probably like the mid 70s 305 you guys used came with 160hp from the factory.
ill always recommend a V8 swap.
i gave my daughter a 350hp v8 blazer for her 16th birthday.

its all relative in the end..
Eventually I will but for now just make a couple ponies and dress up the engine bay

#44 ·
I'm on the same page, last Sept I picked up this 85, 2WD, 2.8, 4 SPD with 120K on it. Retired now I twisted wrenches for a living, I worked in a GM dealership in the 80's and rebuild a number of these 2.8's, I really liked the little buggers! This engine runs pretty good, other then a new fuel filter I haven't even touched the carb yet, did a tune up. While replacing the water pump I pulled the front cover and replaced the timing chain, I was right there, just a few more bolts so why not? And it needed replacing. While in there I did an emissions delete, now it's back to a basic engine under the hood, as it should be. ;) (And any parts I pull while working on it I cleaned and repaint, so the front of the 2.8 looks like new, the rest not so much LoL.) Yeah, it runs pretty good for the mileage but I remember rebuilding a number of them when they hit around 90K, they just need a refreshing. So I too was torn, drop a old school Chevy small block with a carb in it or refresh this 2.8. I settled on the same plan, rebuild this 2.8 and run it for a couple years and then maybe go to the small block. You're dumping more in yours then I plan on, I'd like to but my wife would put the brakes on spending that much for an engine build. My plan is to rebuild with a stock kit and only upgrade the cam and pistons. That cam you picked is perfect! Just what I had in mind! She'll lope at idle, I love lope! I've never heard a 2.8 with a loping cam, it'll be interesting. :)

Here in NY they use salt on the roads, one winter would ruin it so it will be a summer only gadabout & toy and work on it in the winters. My plan for this winter is to pull the body off the frame, get it down to a bare frame, clean and coat it with Chassis Saver, replace the fuel and brake lines while open, replace all the front suspension parts, pull the lowering blocks on the rear to bring it back to stock ride height and I already picked up a triangulated four link kit for the rear axle and a set of airbags. Plus rebuild the engine while the body is off, engine & trans out for the frame work. I've already replaced every brake part on it less the booster and hard lines, still have the wire wrapped original lines, they are in amazing shape but I will replace them when coating the frame. That will be plenty of work for this winter, we'll see what comes for next winter. I plan on keeping this forever, work on it in the winter and enjoy it in the summer. Fun little truck,
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Car Vehicle
lucky to find one this nice in NY!! Everyone wants to look it over and chat about it when I'm out and about, you just don't find em around NY anymore.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Car Vehicle

#47 ·
My wife is pleased it's gotten me out of my chair & back in the shop working, and I'm having fun with it. Didn't think I'd ever have another toy like this, never dreamed I'd be rebuilding another engine and pulling a body off down to the frame, it really has been good for me. At my age with chronic spine pain & lost a leg in an accident I really thought those days were gone, life is still full of surprises. Plan is to piece by piece restore it back. Really going to enjoy the hell out of rebuilding that engine. I recently discovered the same guy who use to do our engine machine work when I worked in the dealership is still in business, different place but still in it. I stopped and chatted with him, haven't seen him in 30 years, we joked about our ages & still getting greasy, he'll be doing the machining for me, just like back in the day. (y) Come to find out, we both live in the same little village, just on opposite ends. :) Glad I saved all my old tools! :D Grand kids don't know what to think about Gramps hot rodding around town. :LOL:

Well cheers Gents, and Merry Christmas! :)

#54 ·
Nice seeing some activity in the forum again, and some real time back and forth!

#77 ·
ok for the edelbrock intake and Weber 32/36 install does anyone know exactly what I will need for install? This is what I have so far:

Carb gasket
Intake gasket
Water neck
Pipe plug kit
Manifold bolts
Carb bolts
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel pressure gauge
Valve cover breather
85 older distributer

for the carb:
Adapter kit
Throttle linkage adapter

that’s all I can think of at the moment…

thanks
Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.