S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are gonna love this one. I've talked it over with a couple people and now i'm in the process of planning out a turbo install for my truck . This will be a VERY VERY low budget project. We are thinking 100-200 $'s tops. The turbo is going to come from a junk yard ro a salvage yard probably off of an old talon or some other 4 banger with a turbo. We'll be running the cheapest manual boost controller we can find. Intake will be a type of highly heat resistant PVC. I have a friend in automotive tech at the college who can make me a header/manifold(w/e you wanna call it), and i have an uncle who has a friend who can reprogram the chip to compensate for the extra fuel. If we can find an intercooler in the salvage yard then we may also intercool it but this is doubtful since we will be running so little boost. We probly won't run a boost gauge Nothing will be done with the intrnals. We may get a custom built exhaust from the college if we can also. We are planning to run 6-8 psi and get a 30-60 horsepower increase. We aren;t expecting much from this, it is just a project so that i con't hve to live with such pathetic horsepower. With the condition the truck is in it's probably only running a pathetic 95-100 horsepower. We won't be dynoing it but we may try to find someone with one of those palm pilot dyno things and dyno it that way. If anyone lives in the Mid-Missouri area(near or in Sedalia) and would like to help with the instal or help me find parts, all help would be appreciated. If anyone knows of salvage yards within an hour and a half or so of Sedalia then the names and addeesses of the mwould be greatly appreciated also. Any tips would be helpful and i will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm sure I speak for most of the board when I say

aint gonna happen, with that much money, and with hopes and dreams that the trucks ecm will recognize boost and add fuel

but good luck

later

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it says in like 7-8 that i have an uncle with a friend who can reprogram the computer to compenstae for the added fuel requirements and ith so little boost the fuel delivey system won;t need to be upgraded.

·
T04E 60-1 Member
229 Posts
bob06 said:
You guys are gonna love this one. I've talked it over with a couple people and now i'm in the process of planning out a turbo install for my truck . This will be a VERY VERY low budget project. We are thinking 100-200 $'s tops. The turbo is going to come from a junk yard ro a salvage yard probably off of an old talon or some other 4 banger with a turbo. We'll be running the cheapest manual boost controller we can find. Intake will be a type of highly heat resistant PVC. I have a friend in automotive tech at the college who can make me a header/manifold(w/e you wanna call it), and i have an uncle who has a friend who can reprogram the chip to compensate for the extra fuel. If we can find an intercooler in the salvage yard then we may also intercool it but this is doubtful since we will be running so little boost. We probly won't run a boost gauge Nothing will be done with the intrnals. We may get a custom built exhaust from the college if we can also. We are planning to run 6-8 psi and get a 30-60 horsepower increase. We aren;t expecting much from this, it is just a project so that i con't hve to live with such pathetic horsepower. With the condition the truck is in it's probably only running a pathetic 95-100 horsepower. We won't be dynoing it but we may try to find someone with one of those palm pilot dyno things and dyno it that way. If anyone lives in the Mid-Missouri area(near or in Sedalia) and would like to help with the instal or help me find parts, all help would be appreciated. If anyone knows of salvage yards within an hour and a half or so of Sedalia then the names and addeesses of the mwould be greatly appreciated also. Any tips would be helpful and i will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

:rolleyes: 100-200 tops

Have fun ain't gona happen.

Mike

·
Turbos and Naws
608 Posts
well heres what i have for my budget project

2 Garrett t-3 Turbos $80.12
1 Bosch Bypass Valve $33.50
Metal to Modify mainfold $24.32
ABS Removal $17.95

Things I Need
Vortech Adj. Fmu $280.95
Mach Reflash $600.00
Piping $Unknown
Boost Gauge $30.00
Down & Y pipe $Unknown

·
Registered
160 Posts
6-8 pounds of boost isnt really so little, and theres no way the computer can add the 15-30 pounds of fuel pressure in relation to pounds of boost on its own. You'll need fuel management.

If you could simply tune the computer, none of us forced ind. guys would have between $500 to $1000 in upgraded fuel management systems. We'd all be knockin down your uncle's buddies' door. I have over $600 in fuel upgrades, on top of a $450 ECM reflash.

keep us posted!

later

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I think you need to understand is that alot of the things you pay alot for, such as the computer reprogramming and alot of the manifold and piping work i am getting done for cheap. I'm talkin to the college abotu having the auto class out there do the manifold and piping work and the computer will be really cheap because the guy my uncle knows is somewhat of a hobbeist and will reprogram it for very little if anything.

·
Registered
940 Posts
bob06 said:
What I think you need to understand is that alot of the things you pay alot for, such as the computer reprogramming and alot of the manifold and piping work i am getting done for cheap. I'm talkin to the college abotu having the auto class out there do the manifold and piping work and the computer will be really cheap because the guy my uncle knows is somewhat of a hobbeist and will reprogram it for very little if anything.
what you don t understand is we are not saying you can t get the comp reprogrammed if you can go for it, but our computers 96 + don t have the ability to add the extra fuel needed to safely run 6-8 lbs of boost, it can't be done, but if you can prove me wrong go for it i ll be the first in line to get rid of my FMU, i think you need to do alittle more research about whats involed in a turbo kit, materials alone are gunna be $$

·
Registered
160 Posts
yeah what he said

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
*shakes head* good luck getting the stock fuel system to bump up the pressure to the injectors while under boost........not gonna happen. You're either going to run stupid rich and be okay at a lb or 2 of boost, or you're going to have to upgrade the fuel system....and 8 lbs isn't that little on these engines.

Caleb

·
Turbos and Naws
608 Posts
got my bosch bov today, will post somes pictures later

·
Registered
160 Posts
actually it does a lot more than that usually.. its the trucks computer's program that gets modified, and/or "re-flashed". It usually consists of altering the fuel/timing curves in relation to rpm/load, trans shift points based on TPS signal and speed, compensates for changes in tire size, rear end gear changes, reducing and/or removing transmission torque management, pushing the parameters for the MAF, etc... usually done on a custom basis, depending on what mods you have

later

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
is this on a 4.3 ? or 2.2? either way you cannot accurately get fuel delivery by reflashing the computer with 6-8psi. Hope you have a hard working knock sensor!!

And second if this is a 4.3, a turbo from a 4 banger will be to small, you will have fast boost and full boost at low rpm, but get the rpm's up there and you will generate alot of heat even at what you call low psi.

And running with no boost gauge isn't a good idea, with having no idea what kind of boost you run how are you going to get the ecm to work with the turbo in relation to timming and fuel?? How do you know if your fuel is correct without a air fuel meter. It's not like this is your off the shelf complete kit where it is moderately tuned properly. With stock internals, using a turbo that is too small generating alot of heat, having no idea how much boost you are running, and having no idea if the air fuel ratio is good, it is a mess of fluids waiting to happen.

I'm all for the backyard slap together with a budget, but some things are needed so the blood sweat and tears in the custom build go to waste to only have the motor fall apart the second you get a chance to open the throttle.

If you don't get a fmu, at least get a air fuel gauge, you can always start off with little to no boost and go from there and tune your fuel every time you up the boost. But in your case that would require resetting parameters in the ecm every time, where as with an adjustable fmu you can achieve this in a few seconds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how much for an fmu?

How much will a cheap but reliable fmu cost me? I'm not looking to spend very mcuh. Maybe i could get a cheap one for like $50?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Has anyone tried the mega squirt? Here's my understanding of it and it is starting to be used extensively for turbo applications on anything. The kit costs about $200. It comes in kit form and you have to solder it all together. If you are already fuel injected, it goes inline with your injectors and takes over. The computer thinks it is still controlling the injectors although it is not. You hook it up to a TPS, an o2 sensor and MAP. It takes over from there. The neat thing is can adapt to you FI or it will stand alone on its own. In theory you could hook up those sensors on a lawn mower and install a fuel injector and it will work. If you need inexpenive fuel solution, this is worth looking into.

·
Registered
354 Posts
:wtf: , i think i saw 1000-2000 bucks wich i tought was reasonable . But then i look better i see 100-200 :confused: . Sorry , it aint gonna happen neither if your corky bell in person . I am scared that when you start doin this project it may end up costing halve or close to a new one . You may get the turbos cheap and headers , but what about the fuel system , tuning , and lots of other $$$$ .
Trust me , even cheap cheap cheap i think you may come close to 1k .
c-ya

·
Got spray? Got boost? (y)
3,084 Posts
I did one in my winter beater for 400 or so. With junkyard parts and really nice FMU. BUt don't forget to do it right like I did you have to spend another 350 plus on a wideband. So you are still gettin close to 1000. Especialy if you can't tune it yourself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts