S-10 Forum banner

Budget Turbo sonoma brand new custom motor build 2.2l

25K views 302 replies 19 participants last post by  goes2fast 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, extremely new to this forum and i have a 2.2l 2000 sonoma with a brand new motor that we highly suspect is cammed. i have a free 44mm turbo and a 52mm turbo i can buy for 400$ i started this thread to try and see if anyone has advice to give on any part of this project including, fmus, injectors, tuning, turbo, and general performance upgrades i can to do it. this thread will be going on for quite a while so i hope to learn alot from you all

#2 ·
Oh, i have not put this truck on a dyno but my 0-60 ranges from 11.4 to 12.3 only mods besides new engine is cai and straight piped, next mods planned before turbo are underdrive pulleys and an efan. i also need headers if anyone here has any for sale, dont care if they are custom made/homemade

#5 ·
i think that generally turbos are installed using a log type manifold instead of the header type because you want the exhaust to spin it up fast. a header style would require the exhaust to travel down to the ends and then you would need longer pipes to the intercooler and oil feed /return for the turbo itself.

not to say you cannot do it. I see turbos mounted a lot lately that are way down the exhaust, by the rear axle. there is more lag but the turbo still spins and works. you just need more piping and oil lines.

a friend has her 1500 chevy set up that way. she said for her, it helps with towing since she doesn't use the truck for racing or anything that requires instant or low rpm boost

#8 ·
true, the issue is the truck wont be in my name for another 5-6 months so i cant do anything that directly affects the engine (such as turbo) until then. and because of that i actually already decided to order some stainless steel headers from tunerbits. actually does anyone know if they are good or not? i ordered the headers from amazon so if they arnt then i can easilly refund them
heres the link if anyone wants to check them out. from what i can tell the piping itself is of pretty decent quality but the gaskets and bolts included are pretty bad, but thats easily fixable

#6 ·
I would say your next mod should be a manual transmission if it doesn't have one already... preferably a T5. I doubt the engine is "cammed" either, it seems there's less than two places you can get a cam for a 2.2L, and most people would not pay the price it costs.

#7 ·
hey there, and yes if it isnt cammed then it is definately built up, it cost 4000$ to have them build me that engine. that seems a little out there considering a brand new crate chevy 350 is only 1500$ and yes it is already the manual
edit: cost me 4000$ for the motor itself and an extra 2000$ to install it

#9 ·
A long block from Advance Auto is $1800 for a 2.2L S10. I'm curious what the machine shop or mechanic's shop did to the engine for your money...

#11 · (Edited)
hey, just so you know the people who built the engine and the people who installed it are 2 different shops. but i also had my brakes done at the shop that did the install and both my brakes and my motor mounts are awful, tempted to try and get it refunded since that shop has done nothing but bad work on my sonoma. i do believe the install was way overpriced but it also wasnt me who had to pay it so im not complaining too much
no sense crying over spilled milk i guess,
and yes i wont lie, i know they overcharged for the motor and the install, but it still has to be enough for them to have done something to that motor. as its not in my name yet i cant crack open the head to actually see if its built or not yet. 7 months until i can do that
edit: i see tutu all over this forum but to be honest i have no clue what that means, any chance someone could enlighten me? thanks

#16 ·
hey! sorry for the long time been very busy. but i now have the money up to cam my truck, does anyone know where i can get a good performance cam for it? i would need a link because even on summit racing i couldnt find one besides the stock one. Update: i put some headers that i made myself into the truck, still dont have a dyno but the 0-60 is now between 9.3 and 8.6 i may try to record it and put it on youtube so i can post the link here if i remember.

#19 ·
Progress update (i know its slow going) i now have some headers installed and am about to order a tune from pcm for less, the turbo "should" be installed within 2-3 months. Has anyone else here ever used pcmforless? i called the guy and he did sound like he knew what he was doing but does anyone have experience with them? im curious about the horsepower, throttle response, maybe sound if they do some timing adjustments, and any know problems that the tune could cause? And yes i know that i need special headers for the turbo, i custom fabbed my headers so it didnt really cost anything.

#22 ·
does anyone know how much horsepower a sonoma 2.2l manual trans can take? i plan on starting off at 5 psi until i get a profesional dyno tune and then go up to 10. also any recomended injector sizes? im using the stock trans and its got about 235,000 miles on it so i dont think it will last much longer anyways. so far im going to need injectors, a tune, a turbo exhaust manifold, an intercooler, and the turbo itself, anything else im missing? trying to think this out a little

#31 ·
A lot of money spent.

Ive been following him for a while, love his build and one day i want to copy it if possible, the ebay kit is a quick way for me to actually be able to get on the interstate lol, i plan on replacing or rebuilding any bad parts with some better ones for a little more reliablitity but this would be my end goal, even though it would be fun to do even better.

#24 ·
blow off valve, maybe a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, maybe a higher pressure fuel pump, oil lines, modified exhaust pipe, intercooler piping, temp gauges, filter assembly, maybe new head bolts and gasket for the 10 pounds

#26 · (Edited)
well, i plan on making this a very long project, at least until i get out of college, probably going to the one in ohio to work in nascar to be honest im excited. now i know there are many forum posts about the ebay turbo kits but i did find one for around 600, i figured i could use everything in the kit and just use the cheap turbo for maybe 3 months then swap it for a wholeset one. would that be acceptable? also i will be getting an fmu for the first bit, what rate would i need for anywhere from 5-8 psi? probably around 6 but i may turn it up if its safe.
basically i think i am going to order the 93 octane tune from pcmforless to lesson the chance of detonation, im running full synthetic oil now as well to try and be safer. after that i will get an fmu and probably use that turbo kit from ebay. s10 Sonoma Chevy T3 2.2L HUGE TURBO KIT 4cyl 1995 1996 1997 1999 2000 2001 2002 | eBay sorry for the bad write up ive been up since 5 am and just got off work. but thoughts and opinions? i know the ebay kits get a bad rep but i figured it would be good for temporary until i hook up the better turbo, not going for track times like cs extreme had just trying to make it easier to at least get up hills.
In all honesty i may never even push it higher than 8 until i get the stroker kit from cavalier world and a cam from summit racing.
All in all this is my first vehicle, as i learn and get better at auto the truck will too, as long as i can afford it i will keep trying to push the limits though, eventually i think i may get the tube chasis for the weight reduction and a positrack rear end. anyone know some cars or trucks i can pull a good posi rear end off of to swap?

#27 ·
I think explorer rear ends are probably common swaps. I imagine they work for s10s like they work in jeeps. not positrac but limited slip is very common.

posi is not a good choice for street use, unless you like noisy/hopping turns and accelerated tire wear. just go limited slip and save tires while you are in school

#28 ·
Ah, thank you. I may got to the local scrapyard to see if theres any explorers, is there a specific vin number i need to look for to get a limited slip, i would most likely want a 3.73 or a 4.10 if possible. Also if anyone here has owned boosted s10's before any opinions on my plan for it? with the 93 octane tune and a 12:1 fmu at around 6psi until i get a dyno tune? with the ebay kit...
ignore the link above this is the link i plan on using

#29 ·
You are aware that the site has a search database that will lead you to numerous threads on the topic, right? Also there's a whole section pertaining to boosted engines with info and stickies. I recommend exhausting those leads first and better educating yourself AND THEN reach out for more information if need be.

#30 · (Edited)
i actually have looked into the fmu and the turbo threads, to be honest cs extremes was one of the most interesting. but i ask because in some threads people said a 4:1 fmu would work, some say an adjustable one, and some say a 12:1 im trying to get a solid answer is all. also couldnt see anything about my specific plan but the tuning is out of the picture, would cost the same as a dyno tune so ill save the money now and tune it after i get the turbo on. It just feels nicer to have somenes opinion on your exact build instead of looking at simmilar builds, makes it feel safer i guess.
Edit: and as far as the ebay kit goes i have seen many threads about that too, but none with my exact kit. wanted someone with more knowledge than me to take a look at it.
Still im not trying to make anyone mad im just trying to take every precaution i have with my budget
I will say i have seen some posts about the turbo not fitting, in the link i posted it does mention that with s10s and sonomas that i will need to do modifications to the chasis/firewall to make the turbo fit, i dont mind doing that, i dont know if i will keep ac or not but its on its way out anyways so i dont mind.

#32 ·
You are aware that you are going to spend more money than a 400 hp LS swap would cost to get maybe 250 hp at best? Also, you do not need an 8.8 for a turbo tutu.

Reactions: Gen210
#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
oh yeah, i know that. i want it to be a bad*** little tutu lol. but for now its more focused on around 1000$ to make 200 at best. Also i have Booosted_dimes instagram and he says his is making around 300 right now, pretty impressive wihtout a built top end
also you said 8.8 what do you mean? i dont think i said anything about 8.8

#34 ·
Personally, I would not tie up cash in a 4 cyl however, if your area you live in does not appreciate v8 s10s That may be your only option second to building a 4.3+

#36 · (Edited)
its all up to personal opinion man thats the great thing about it, if you want a v8 s10 then do it [in all honesty if this motor blows i have a spare chevy 350, or a built ford if i want to make it a bastard]
but to me its my first car and thats special, i want to make it something great something that people will appreciate even if its just a 4 cylinder. i do know that there are 800hp 4 cylinders out there now [not our tutu though] but it does give me hope.
another option that i thought of is swapping the camaro 4 cylinder in it makes about 300hp stock
edit: random but it is worthy to note that my 0-60 with headers, underdrive, cai, and a magnaflow with c6 wheels is 9.3.

#39 ·
Glad you do, [hope you arnt being sarcastic] trying to do it on a budget and hoping it wont blow up lol. may not be active again till monday will update then.

#40 ·
Should have the 4:10 with limited slip soon. found a s10/sonoma in a pull apart and they are pulling it for me, should have it by tommorow or wednsday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.