S-10 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
I was pricing used 12 bolts for my friend's 454 El Camino that he just bought and you can get an all-new 9 inch for about the same price as a used 12 bolt so I think he will be buying a 9 instead.

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
Pretty unrelated, but i recently did a mod posted by another member of this forum and installed a switch to deactivate my speed cable and by extension my abs. Mainly did that to see if my abs was acting up and it is, after disabling the abs the truck did alot better, havnt tested it in the rain yet so i'm waiting on that, but i can disable the governor without testing the limit, couldnt take it to a track so i ran it on my grandpas farm, he has a 2 mile long straight road on his property, a (mostly) stock 2.2l with 3.73 rear end has a top speed of 115. (my tires are rated Z at over 180mph)
also for my rear end i will most likely go with a gm 8.6 with 3.43 limited slip and disk brakes from a blazer if i can find it, if not i will look into the ford explorer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
it sucked, 4th was pegged at like 5500 rpm but 5th couldnt gain any speed, made me feel slow 😂
on the bright side i was cruising on the highway doing 80 when another s10 drove by, he must have heard my loud exhaust but i think he had the v6, he tried to race me so i flipped the switch and raced, he pulled on me but hit the governor and i pulled away lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Riiiiiight.
yeah you're right, it was one of my friends, he didnt know i had the mod installed and i told him i wanted to race him and try again. 😂 😂

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
You don't have to use the ABS excuse as to why you disabled your speed sensor. Everyone knows you just take the ABS fuse out to disable it...
wait really? yeah... i dont know anything about the electronics, thats why i had to do a step by step lol. To be honest i did not know that, my bad. at least this way i can disable it whenever i want and a lot easier.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I needed some more practice and someone here local wanted a v8 s10, it is a 5.3l with the auto trans. Not finished yet but that s10 used to be an electric. ( You can see the electric motor in the background) Had to do a decent amount of cutting to get the motor to sit right, and we put a fuel cell in the back. I wish this was mine to be honest.
20200212_095339.jpg

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
Keep saving your $ and soon it will be yours. Just be patient and buy parts a little at a time like I'm doing and it will happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Keep saving your $ and soon it will be yours. Just be patient and buy parts a little at a time like I'm doing and it will happen.
that is the goal right now, unless i happen upon a great deal on a turbo then the 4.8 or the 5.3 seems my best bet. Actually i saw that the 4.8 and the 5.3 had the same block and both can be bored out to the same size, i can get a 4.8 for roughly half the price of a 5.3. i don't know which one i should get though. Plus stock 4.8s with a decent cam make peak power at 7k rpm, and i love high rev motors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Anyone ever had this problem before? motor runs fine and hasn't lost any power but upshifting (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc) it backfires, sometimes multiple times. Doesn't really sound right. I'm thinking it may be bad ignition wires but i don't know yet.

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
It sounds like a timing issue to me but no experience with tutus so I'm not a lot of help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #177 (Edited)
Try racing it some more. Maybe that'll clear it out.
Well, ended up being an intake issue, all replaced and since the original spectre intake was pretty busted i put a new one on.
Also in all honesty i do race, ("race" is pretty objective with these trucks seeing as the only thing i can actually beat would be a semi truck) but maybe once or twice a week, aside from that it's a daily driver and that is how it's going to stay. I do have to get on the gas pretty hard every now and again but traffic here can be pretty fast, and these motors are, well, not fast.
Im glad it was not an issue with the motor itself, seeing as another forum member here: A CLEANMACHINE
Offered me his turbo kit, including the ecu. For the price i cant find a better deal and will be ordering it in a month. looks like this thread may be back on track after all!
Some options i have later on if i decide to keep the boosted tutu
Stroke it out with a nice crank, pistons, and a turbo cam i may be able to get around 300hp.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Hey, to be fair i'm sure plenty of people on this forum have done this at one point. After i got to drive my friends turbo 350z i pretty much stopped racing my truck, its not even fun after trying his car lol.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts