S-10 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 202 Posts

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
i figure that if im going to pull the motor i will end up at least putting a nice cam in it before i put it in my truck, plus a rebuild for piece of mind.
Why waste money when it's not needed? I'm doing a cam swap in mine since I want over 400 hp but the lifters valve springs and rocker trunnions are all I'm replacing. These engines last a long time if taken care of.

Here is a video from another thread so you will have an idea of how much fun an LS-powered truck is.

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Why waste money when it's not needed? I'm doing a cam swap in mine since I want over 400 hp but the lifters valve springs and rocker trunnions are all I'm replacing. These engines last a long time if taken care of.

Here is a video from another thread so you will have an idea of how much fun an LS-powered truck is.

I have seen that video! 6.0l is awesome in these little trucks. Well, when i put the cam and stuff in i will at least look, but right now i have a 15k mile motor in mine and would like to keep the v8 reliable as well. Also, i said i would at least put a cam in, if money allows i would build the bottom end for boost, 15psi at least. i do still have that 52mm holset turbo, it would be somewhat small on a 5.3l but would do the job until i can upgrade.

·
time to get cereal
2,630 Posts
I'm not sure how that video says anything other than when you hit the accelerator, it accelerates quickly. There's no driver engagement... it's an automatic and probably can't turn for crap, only reason people like that video is because they're like "Wow, a girl! Look a girl!"

·
Administrator
23,091 Posts
I have seen that video! 6.0l is awesome in these little trucks. Well, when i put the cam and stuff in i will at least look, but right now i have a 15k mile motor in mine and would like to keep the v8 reliable as well. Also, i said i would at least put a cam in, if money allows i would build the bottom end for boost, 15psi at least. i do still have that 52mm holset turbo, it would be somewhat small on a 5.3l but would do the job until i can upgrade.
Have you built an engine yet??
This comes to mind..

·
time to get cereal
2,630 Posts
It's just hard to take seriously... I mean, just like all of the mediocre "youtube famous" morons. Good thing I can still find videos that are actually educational, we haven't delved into full idiocracy... yet.

39,915 Posts
I think she's actually pals with the owner who is a member here. She actually does know how to turn a wrench. Her channel started as a documentary of her tranformation but I'd image that the Internet had their way with that so all that was deleted and then the Sarah-n-tuned channel got started.

·
time to get cereal
2,630 Posts
I'm not doubted her abilities... but the skimpy outfits and then wearing gloves and/or safety glasses at times is just kind of hilarious. I won't be contributing to her wealthiness, I guess it's good for her that there are plenty who will.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
Mo, if the right won't poke, then why cut 3"+ off of the passenger tube?
I know that will center the diff housing, but at the same time it also bring the overall length of the right axle closer to the center of the vehicle...
I had a complete 8.8 disc unit and did the measurements....

Since a 2x4 S10 rear axle is 54.5" wide, and the Explorer assembly is 59.62" wide..
Cut 3" out of the passenger side and you will then have 56" wide assembly.
1" on each side is acceptable as a wider track, but 59" is a stretch.
So... the right side would poke.

And BTW, the axle diameter for the Explorer rear is 3.25" The S10 is 3"
That's why I said it would be beneficial to re-arrange the spring perches.

I usually try pretty hard not to talk out of my bunghole...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Have you built an engine yet??
This comes to mind..
yep, rebuilt an 87 dodge v6 3.9l i believe, i have not done a performance build yet though. But the feeling you get for taking a basically worthless car that wont run and making it run, even better driving it after all that work? that feeling is one of the best ones involved in automechanics.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
I'm not a subscriber. I watch Cleetus McFarland. Noticed her commenting on every car video there is just about so I investigated. lol
Cleetus is great, love his camaro. wow, in all honesty i probably never would of known that she used to be a guy, it is very hard to tell.

39,915 Posts
You would cut one side of an Explorer 8.8 to narrow it to 2wd width and center the pumpkin in the process. When you do that though you have to move both the spring mounting pads as well because you can't just move the one side. And if you're doing that you may as well replace the pads with S10 size pads and set you're pinion angle.

Is this making sense? How about this...

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
Mo, I woke up last night thinking about this... No Bueno.

Anyway, I think you are right about poke. You would have to relocate the spring perches and use 4x4 or later Corvette wheels if you don't narrow the right side axle.
Spring perches are available from the speed supermarkets and Ebay. Cheap.

I guess what I was trying to say - this is not really a bolt in - if you want it done right.
It is worth the effort if you have a stout LS or small block.

It's been so long since I worked on any of my Dimes, I almost forget what they look like.

** If I provided any inaccurate info, sorry folks. Sometimes my memory is not as good as it could be.

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
I also wonder what the weight difference is between a 8.6 and 8.8 is? I know the 8.8 I had was very heavy to move around my shop which didn't bother me for an off-road vehicle but for a 2wd that you want to handle as well as you can, it's a different story.

39,915 Posts
I'd venture to guess that they're in the same neighborhood of each other weight wise. Even if it weighed a little more, what better place for it to be than directly over/on the rear wheels of a pick up truck? Everything I've seen says they weigh around 170lbs. Much stronger aftermarket support too.

·
time to get cereal
2,630 Posts
The problem is that the weight is unsprung. If you're on a smooth track it won't matter as much, but live axles in general don't do very well on rough surfaces if you're trying to turn quickly. Unless you're trying to build a competive race car, you probably won't notice much difference between axle housings.

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if a 9 inch isn't lighter and if it isn't you can always buy an aluminum carrier for it. If you want strength and aftermarket support a 9 inch is hard to beat.

141 - 160 of 202 Posts