S-10 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 289 Posts

·
Old Fart
4,063 Posts
I use Royal Purple Syncromax which has additives to help the synchronizers do their job better that ATF doesn't have. You can't go wrong with Royal Purple synthetic lubricants. I have been using synthetic oil since the 70s when Amsoil was the only one and Royal Purple is the best I have tried.

Reactions: Thatoneguylol

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Thanks for the answers guys! I will try and take some pics of it today, i have been on this forum long enough to know you have to see it to believe it lol.
Huh, i also just realized that i have been working on this project for well over a year now, time flies.

·
time to get cereal
3,973 Posts
Nice. Would love to have a T5 but I haven't found one yet (not that I have been looking that hard), and the fact that my NV only has about 50k miles on it right now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #245 (Edited)
Nice. Would love to have a T5 but I haven't found one yet (not that I have been looking that hard), and the fact that my NV only has about 50k miles on it right now.
I used car-part.com, then i had to drive for 3 and a half hours up to Cincinnati to get it. Cost me $400 the only thing that i had to do was clean it up, put in a new throwout bearing, and fill it with fluid. No play at all in any of the gears, seems like a very solid trans. In my 2000 model it hits the dash pretty good, we are just going to take a torch and bend the shifter a little more to clear it. I could not find and Dexron III so we used Dex/Merc rated for the older year ford and gm vehicles. Then i will need a custom piece made so it can cover up the mess and give me my cup holder back. To be honest i will probably drive it with a hole in the floor for a couple of days.
We drilled a new hole in the trans crossmember and the original mount for the nv bolted up perfectly. the only problem we are having now is getting the clutch bled, we gravity bled the system, and took the slave cylinder and bled it by itself by pushing the piston. The only clutch i have right now is at the very end of the pedal, by pushing the clutch in as far as it can go, then it works as it should. Does anyone have any tips aside from using a vacuum pump?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
I will also say, it has a brand new master, neutral safety, line, slave cylinder, and whatever the piece that hooks onto the actual pedal is also new. Asides from having difficulty getting it bled and working properly i also have an issue where even if the clutch is pressed completely in the neutral safety will not go far enough to start the truck, i have to pull it up manually. And the rod that hooks onto the pedal will not stay completely on the pedal, if i press the pedal the rod slips down a little and sits halfway onto the pedal and stays there. Is there any sort of adjustment for that?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #247

I do need to make a project thread eventually.

·
Old Fart
4,063 Posts
I will also say, it has a brand new master, neutral safety, line, slave cylinder, and whatever the piece that hooks onto the actual pedal is also new. Asides from having difficulty getting it bled and working properly i also have an issue where even if the clutch is pressed completely in the neutral safety will not go far enough to start the truck, i have to pull it up manually. And the rod that hooks onto the pedal will not stay completely on the pedal, if i press the pedal the rod slips down a little and sits halfway onto the pedal and stays there. Is there any sort of adjustment for that?
A picture or 2 would help to see what your problem is?

Reactions: Thatoneguylol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #249 (Edited)
A picture or 2 would help to see what your problem is?
Yep, will take some today when i go out there again. Originally had someone doing the clutch for me but he broke his ankle. So instead of paying for a tow i used a ropd and towed to to my brothers. On the bright side because he broke his ankle i had the thought to install the t5.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
This is your project thread, brah.
Yeah, i'll be honest, looking back at some of my old posts and threads i didn't know anything about what i was talking about, now i know just a tiny bit and it still makes me realize i was stupid. Sorry for annoying you all with some of my older posts. On the bright side the motor runs again, only problem is we are having issues getting the clutch bled. Hopefully anybody who looks at this thread takes my older posts with a grain of salt, or a tub of it 😂

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #252

Made a youtube channel on it, if you all want to check out the walkaround of it feel free to!.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Update: Truck still running very well, will go all the way to 6k in full boost. But it still runs a little lean. Most likely a bad o2 sensor or a vacuum leak somewhere. Asides from fixing that does anyone know a good performance radiator that fits in the sonoma? I was looking at mishimoto simply because of their lifetime warrenty and good parts, but at this point im not sure if it would fit, the truck does not have the ac condensor in it so i should have more room.

·
Boozebag
9,379 Posts
Looks really good... give you lots of cred...
One suggestion though, before you reef on it, I strongly suggest you find a guy that can run it on a dyno and set up your truck's ECU to interface with a program for adjusting the timing and fuel maps.
You can gain a ton of power if you tune the ECU properly.

I had a '95 Honda Accord with an F series 2.2 engine. The shop I hang out at has an in floor dyno. After soldering in an interface to connect to a lap top, we ran it on the dyno and got 25 more HPs on an otherwise almost stock junkyard engine. Burned a new chip with the fresh map and went to the dragstrip. This boned out Accord 4 door ran 15 flat at the 1320.
Doesn't seem like much, but a header, CAI and fart can made this Sht box wake up pretty good.

I've seen big turbo cars gain HUNDREDS of HPs on the dyno with the correct tune.

Moral of story... you've gone this far... go all the way.

Confucius say - Go faster Grasshopper... 😛

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Trust me, i would love to take it to a dyno sometime for the tune and just to see a tutu make over 200whp. From what the local shops have told me it takes 6 hptuners credits so i am looking at about $1000 to get it properly tuned. It will happen eventually though. As long as this motor holds out i have big plans. Including patriot heads, boost cam, and a built bottom end and crank.

Not to mention this t5 honestly made the truck feel far faster, maybe different gear ratios, maybe the fact that it is half the weight of the nv1500, either way a t56 should bolt up find to a built tutu. Possibly a ford 9 inch lsd as well. if i do all that and tune it it will most likely cost around 5k total. But it would be sweet to see this motor make 300whp or more....

Just got a factory job at $17 an hour, so here soon i should have all the $ i need to see just how far these motors can go. And yes, i know a v8 would be better. But if i hook up a ford 9 inch and a t56, when this motor blows a v8 will be able to bolt up just fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #256 (Edited)
Update: September 10th i will be sending the truck in to KP Customs for a dyno tune, and for him to fix all the crap that i am sure i messed up lol. I told him i want 200rwhp. Tranny seems to handle the power perfectly fine, the only problem i can see in the future is the fact that i put a new oem clutch in, will probably fail early because of the turbo. Going to have him fix the leaning out issue, the oil leak, and whatever else he deems worthy of fixing. After this i will daily drive the sonoma for a bit and eventually get a new(ish) car. When that happens i will do a full motor build, 9 inch limited slip ford rear end, the works. Eventually my goal will be 400whp with a fully built motor, methanol injection, and a standalone ecu. Maybe right around 15-20 psi on fully built, BoostedDime ran 15psi and that was just with better pistons and rods.

Due to covid-19 i will not be able to post a dyno vid but i will post a picture of the slip for anyone who is curious. I will say it has to make more power than a stock 4.3l right now, but its not enough....

Oh, and am i correct in assuming that the t5 helps me reduce drivetrain power loss and will give me more power to the wheels? Compared to an nv1500 i mean, it is half the weight.

·
time to get cereal
3,973 Posts
A T56 is not going to bolt to a 2.2L without some custom parts. Also, it would be completely overkill, and I'm pretty sure the T56 is heavier than an NV1500 too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #258 (Edited)
A T56 is not going to bolt to a 2.2L without some custom parts. Also, it would be completely overkill, and I'm pretty sure the T56 is heavier than an NV1500 too.
i said t5 in that post, as in the borg warner t5 that weighs 75lbs and comes off of a 2.2l 1995 s10. I do not plan on putting a t56 on there unless i fully build the motor with some insane boost. I already swapped in a t5, the post above would be a goal of mine if possible. But the t5 should be good to around 300whp if i am careful with it.

Oh, and one final thought, if i put in a 9 inch rear end, and a t56, what would stop me from eventually v8 swapping it? Nothing would lol

Basically it would only cost me an extra $250 to put the t56 on my tutu, and if i get a v8 it will bolt right up after i swap bell housings.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Truck is in the shop, will probably be there for up to a month. Basically told them to fix everything, i work 7 days a week now so i dont have much time to do it myself anymore. Will probably cost up to a maximum of $2000. After that i will either tow or drive it down to 5th gear automotive in nashville to have it dyno tuned.

I was reading on the j-body forums a little, seems that they have built the ln2 motor in the cavalier, saw one guy talking about a built motor running 25psi at around 370whp. I believe that is the same motor i have in my truck, and if so, 400whp is not too out of reach.

Once i get a dependable 370z the truck will be fully built. I say within a year or so i should have a fully built turbo sonoma :)

I am going to beat boosted dime and csextreme at their own game lol

My only question is does anybody here know how much torque a boosted ln2 puts out? i have heard that at 8psi i have about 200whp but i dont know how much torque

241 - 260 of 289 Posts