S-10 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Should i start a new thread when i actually start the build or continue this one? Should be around a month from now, although it may be more depending on shipping times and all that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Does anyone know how much torque the 2.2l 5 speed manual can take? I cant even get a solid answer on what transmission i have because some of them say nv1500 and others say t5, but i have a 2000 2.2l sonoma 5 speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I have a few questions about after i get the turbo installed and running, he said he had it on his truck with stock 2.2l pushing 12 psi with methanol, i wont be buying the methanol but i have heard that the stock internals can hold 10psi with a good tune and 93 octane.
1: would daily driving it a 7psi (the lowest it can go) harm the motor? I know that it won't last as long but if it could last me a couple years then i could build it before it blows. I will be using upgraded injectors, fuel pump, and a 93 octane tune with it.
2: I know that our computers have trouble dealing with boost even though they can run it, what kind of issues could that cause while daily driving it?
3: i could afford the boost camshaft from chevycavalierworld a lot faster than i could afford the stroker kit, would the camshaft improve horsepower and longevity or just horsepower?
4: since the nv1500 would not be able to support my power levels for very long would it be best to swap in a t5 or an nv3500?
Thanks for dealing with all my posts yall, i know this thread is getting pretty long im just excited to start a build thread already.

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
I have a few questions about after i get the turbo installed and running, he said he had it on his truck with stock 2.2l pushing 12 psi with methanol, i wont be buying the methanol but i have heard that the stock internals can hold 10psi with a good tune and 93 octane.
1: would daily driving it a 7psi (the lowest it can go) harm the motor? I know that it won't last as long but if it could last me a couple years then i could build it before it blows. I will be using upgraded injectors, fuel pump, and a 93 octane tune with it.
2: I know that our computers have trouble dealing with boost even though they can run it, what kind of issues could that cause while daily driving it?
3: i could afford the boost camshaft from chevycavalierworld a lot faster than i could afford the stroker kit, would the camshaft improve horsepower and longevity or just horsepower?
4: since the nv1500 would not be able to support my power levels for very long would it be best to swap in a t5 or an nv3500?
Thanks for dealing with all my posts yall, i know this thread is getting pretty long im just excited to start a build thread already.
Is E85 not available where you are? If you want it to live as long as possible under boost I would run E85 as it is around 105 octane which will give you a good safety margin.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
My motor is not flex fuel, not To mention that as far as I know, I've only heard rumors about 1 gas station that sells e-85 anywhere near me, and I have personally never seen it. Could I hypothetically find e-85? Yes, but could I use it daily? No. Still, if I ever wanted to run 10 psi I would feel safer on e-85. Besides injectors and better fuel pump what else do I need to change to run e-85?
Edit: it's because I dont have e-85 that i plan to run the boost at 7 psi.

·
Old Fart
3,358 Posts
There are apps that tell where E85 is sold and you could convert to run E85 when you do the turbo.

·
time to get cereal
2,628 Posts
You'll need basically the whole fuel system from a flex truck (tank to the fuel rail and injectors), plus either reprogram your PCM for it or use the one from the flex truck, or else you won't be able to get the fuel composition sensor to work. It would be easier just to buy a flex truck in the first place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
You'll need basically the whole fuel system from a flex truck (tank to the fuel rail and injectors), plus either reprogram your PCM for it or use the one from the flex truck, or else you won't be able to get the fuel composition sensor to work. It would be easier just to buy a flex truck in the first place.
well, in that case the cost of the tune alone would be another 600$ As long as this motor lasts me a year or two i can build it up, at 7 psi and considering the motor only has 15k on it i believe that it would, if the cam would help it last longer then i can put that in there along the way. It would be something worth looking into in the future but since the ecu he is sending me is pretuned with 93 octane the E-85 tune would just cost too much. He said that he ran the turbo kit on his for 20k miles without any major issues.

·
time to get cereal
2,628 Posts
Not sure if you read that wrong or what... these trucks came from the factory with E-85 capability.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Alright, i have bought the turbo kit, will be here wednsday. I will start a build thread soon after i get the shipment. He is sending me the tuned ecm as well but the ecm he has is tuned for 42lb injectors, he is giving me newer 40lb injectors, is there a way to set the constant inside the computer so that it idles correctly and so that i dont run lean? I know that hp tuners can do it but i dont want to buy an entire credit and hp tuners system just to change one number.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Hey everyone, the kit is here ive got injectors and everything i just need a wideband, and a pyrometer. ive already installed the efan and it runs great. But recently i was trying to install the 56mm throttle body, i got the old one off and now have the new one on it but it only has 2 bolt holes and the old one had 4, normally that would be fine but when i actually try to put the plastic piece that holds the wires on the bolt is too short and wont thread in, ive seen a couple threads and it said i can reuse the stock bolts, another thing ive noticed is that the old one had 4 plugs with hoses going into them, but the new one only has 3 that i can see, what should i do, any help greatly appreciated as i have to work at 2 tommorow and, i need a running truck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
98+ 56mm Quad 4 Throttle Body Install this ended up being very helpful, i will post pics of the efan soon, im not posting pics of the throttle body until i fix the broken vacuum line (working on 20 year old trucks, things tend to break) but as of right now the truck runs fine, has only 3 of the 4 vacuum lines hooked up and i still could not find the 4th vacuum line hook-up on the 56mm. The gas pedal is definately stiffer to press now, i may of tightened the line last night, or maybe i just need to readjust, but with the efan and throttle body there is a noticible difference in performance and sound.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Pics of the turbo and the methanol kit.

·
time to get cereal
2,628 Posts
i still could not find the 4th vacuum line hook-up on the 56mm

I starting this assuming that you already have your intake off. First remove the 4 Vacuum hoses and unclip the IACV and the TPS. Hoses 1 and 2 will reconnect in same positions on new TB. Hoses 3 and 4 will be connected using a vacuum elbow and T Adapter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Yeah, I've fixed that mistake, it was 2 am when I was doing this so I wasnt thinking too much. With the iat sensor plugged back in the truck feels, runs, and drives great, next I'mgoing to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors, and maybe put the tuned ecu in, going to be doing this piece by piece so I can fix any small issues like this

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Putting in the 4.3l fuel pump, the 42lb injectors, and the tuned ecm tommorow, turbo should be installed within a week. Unfortunately the 350z i was trying to beat blew a rod into heaven so i win by default lol. With methanol im planning on running a peak of 12 psi but really only going to do that on the track during ls fest, until then 7 or 8 psi daily maybe pushing to 10psi every once in a while. Hoping this all works out, u joints on my driveshaft are going out so i may have to fix those soon as well, the nv1500 is still doing pretty good though, aside from some wiggling room in a couple gears everything seems fine, hoping it stays that way.
Edit: i tried making a new thread for this but it just combined both threads for some reason.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts