S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth fixing or would it be better to rpelace the motor or just go with a 4.3 or 350????? I need a good reliable daily driver and I'm willing to spend in the area of $500 on motor stuff.

·
Registered
619 Posts
for five hundred dollars your only option might be a good used motor. to get one rebuilt you are ussually looking for at least 800 bucks. You could put a new/used crank in but for the money you should go with a rebuild because alot of the time the top end will go out after the bottom end is rebuilt. a 4.3 or 350 would be nice but it will cost you more than 500 bucks unless you can find motor and transmission for less than 500 bucks... the 350 wouldn't be the best daily driver but it wouldn't be that bad. it requires as much work as the 4.3.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have someone that will do the crank install for the cost of a lift (3 6x8's for a motor lift) and a few pepsies, so I dont know, but it would be just as easy to get another motor. So I'm still confused on what to do....

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
As long as the individual knows what they're doing and you have confidence in the work/engine, and if it won't take all of the $500, go for it. I don't know what was meant by "for the cost of a lift (3 6x8's for a motor lift)", but I would assume it would be a body lift (~$80), and some sodas, not bad at all.
I just posted a long-winded response about my thoughts on getting a new/rebuilt engine, but same idea would apply towards a used engine. In all honesty, if it were me and I knew the person well enough, I would go ahead and have them do the crankshaft. If the rest of the motor is sound, and that's all that needs to be replaced, bearings and related components included, I would go for it.
Meeh350 raises a really good point though; other components will wear out. Better to get a motor that's been all together for a while. The 2.8s are all over the place, see what it would cost you to get one before you decide to get the crank installed by the friend.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know, I'm really thinking twice about getting this blazer, I think I'm just going to spend the money on my truck rather than getting into something that may not be what I want, the truck has 235,xxx miles on it and I doubt that the crank is the only bad thing on it.

The blaze that the 2.8 is in is for sale for $450 with some nice sized mudders (4x4). And when I say lift I was talking about a thing to lift the motor out with, because this said he usually lifts the entire vehicle up and disconnects everything and then lifts the motor out.

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I went in with the same idea of getting a cheap truck and just doing the motor. Now, I've replaced related engine components, ball joints, brake drums, brake lines, parking cables, wheel hub assembly ($70-$170 apiece normally), and a bunch of other stuff. That's all just to keep it running on the road. I am just now catching up to doing what I want to the truck of my own accord (the body lift and wires, etc) after a year and a half of replacing OEM components. The truck also had over ~200K miles on the body when I got it.
I'd just spend the money on the vehicle you'd be driving the most.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thanks for the advice, I'm just gonna stick with my dime then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts