S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 601 Posts

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*First of all, I would like to thank Jed (juddspaintballs) for helping me out SO MUCH during the designing stage. He deserves all the credit for the design, and he is a GREAT guy*

So this is my first build thread that I've ever done. I've never really done a big enough system to actually have one (I'm not sure if this one counts as a big enough of one either, but o well).

Here is what everything is going into:

She's been my baby for a little over 2 years now, and been pretty good to me.

Now, for the equipment:

I've had my 10" Type R's for about a year now, I've done sealed and ported, and I thought it was time to change things up a little bit. The sub isn't here yet (should be by Thursday) so I'll leave that as a little "surprise" for you guys.

And powering the *mystery sub* will be this:

*The Merlin MD3D will be ran at 2ohms = 1200w*

Here is the design that Jed came up with for me (for some reason I can't get this picture to be bigger):

As you can probably guess, it's a 1 12" ported upfiring enclosure.

1.59 cubes @ 32hz

You can criticize/comment on it as much as you'd like, but the cuts have already been made, and it will probably already be put half way together by the time you can respond.

It turns out my dad had a router I could use for rounding off the port pieces inside the box (who knew? lol)

A friend and I got to work on the cuts (he's the one with the table saw), and a couple hours later we came up with this:

That was at about 10:45 this evening, and we called it a night there.

I'll be assembling the box tomorrow and taking plenty of pics during that process as well.

To be continued...

·
Registered
525 Posts
looks like its gonna be an overall nice build good luck with ya!!

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
I cant see the pics, but Im guessing that with that much power and that box size... you going with either an Fi Q or BL

·
SUBSONIC KUSTOMZ
556 Posts
alpine good choice! some people are dumb and will over look what sub it is for quite some time. dont worry lol. box looks like a good design too.

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks rustyspring. I've been wanting to try out a Type X for quite some time now - I've always been a fan of Alpine.

I figure I'll give you guys an update while I wait for my corn dogs/pizza to cook.

Just piecing things together to make sure my cuts were correct:

My beautifully rounded edges:

It's finally starting to take shape:

And everything in minus the top piece (it's actually the back piece, cause it's upfiring, but who's keeping track)

All I need to do now is seal the inside up. I should have sealed the bottom of the port pieces as I put them in. It's gonna be a PITA to get caulk all the way to the bottom edges.

More to come later.....

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
While I'm thinking of it, add some 1" dowel going from the face of the box the sub is mounted on to the opposite side (that should be top to bottom). I forgot to mention that or draw it in earlier. Figure four pieces 11.5" IIRC long, spaced out evenly in a square around the woofer about 1-2" from the edge of the hole. That should stiffen up the box.

And I have that drill too. Love it. Your rounded edges look great. Glad you found a router.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
If you like the box once it's all complete, take that roundover bit to all of the outside edges of the box. It really makes the box look nice and it keeps you from crushing the edges if you don't carpet the box. Only thing to watch out for is to make sure all of your screw heads are countersunk enough.

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
Only thing to watch out for is to make sure all of your screw heads are countersunk enough.
nothing destroys those expensive carbide bits like a damn screw head poking out.

·
Never Enough Light
93 Posts
looking good man! I'm glad I could help with the cuts. I still owe you for all the work youve done on my truck. I can't wait till you get that new sub in there!

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, thanks man. Btw, sputnik was the friend of mine with the table saw. Without him, I prolly wouldn't have this box - Thanks again.

So here is my update after I got everything finished up.

First off, this was my entertainment for the afternoon:

Good thing I came in for lunch around 1:00. Jed talked to me about some last minute bracing, which I agreed with 100%.

I know I lost a little bit of airspace, but I feel it was worth it.

I finally got everything put together and this is what it looks like:

(truck in the background, hehe :cool:)

Although I did have a router, I didn't have a circle jig :rant:. I don't build boxes often enough to go out and spend the money for one. So I just used a sawzaw to cut out the hole (like I normally would have done). I know a lot of you guys aren't a fan of cutting the hole this way, but it turned out a lot better than I thought it would, and it was all I had at the time. It will prolly need trimming when I put the sub in.

And this is how it will be sitting in my truck:

I might have the port on the other side, I'm not 100% sure yet.

And the builder himself:

Can't wait till tomorrow! :D

Thanks for looking :cool:

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
i don't like 'labyrinth' style ports(it restricts air flow with all the bends)......you'd been better off by running the port along the parameter of the box and placing the sub close to the 'exhaust' side of the port

but it looks good....

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
i initially tried doing it that way joe. the subwoofer is just too deep for that style design. to accommodate the labyrinth design and slower air speed, i slightly shorted the port from the usual length equations give to keep a near perfect tune. i also made sure he put in those corner boards and rounded the edges to help air flow more smoothly. labyrinth isn't my favorite style slot port, but design parameters and size restrictions called for it. plus it does make a good looking box before the lid is screwed on.

1 - 20 of 601 Posts