S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve searched and searched can’t figure it out. I’ve got a strange break light problem. It’s hard to search for this specific issue so here we go.

2000 S10. Step on the break pedal and the drivers side break light does not come on. Both tail lights come on. Put on the drivers side turn signal and it works. Put on drivers side turn signal and hit the break the passenger side break light comes on like it’s supposed to. Ok cool. Then it gets weird. Flip on the passenger side turn signal and step on the break, the drivers side break light comes on! Put on the emergency flashers and the stupid break lights work!

I checked the grounding blocks on both sides of the truck for the tail lights. They look ok but I’m going to do the fix to both of them. Apparently that can cause a lot of issues. Ive gotten crazy looks from a lot of people I’ve told about the issue. I went into the parts store yesterday and told the guy who supposedly is or was a mechanic about the issue and he said it was most likely the turn signal switch.

O one other thing the tail light socket looked bad / burnt so I swapped it for a new one. The problem sill exists. When I swapped them I grounded the ground wire directly to the frame. Problem continued so I went ahead and soldered the ground wire connection to the original ground.

He’s the only person who said the switch any chance he’s right? I don’t want to drop 120 bucks and it’s not possible for it to be the turn signal switch.

Anyway thanks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m always hesitant to get electrical parts from junk yards. The local junk yard does not let you go find the parts. They go pull them. So you pay premium junk yard prices with no warranty. So if the problem stays I cannot return it.

·
It WAS a Blazer
566 Posts
Awww that sucks. We have plenty of LKQ's around here...

Few places on eBay test them beforehand supposedly...

Got a refund on a wheel they didn't ship because it didn't "pass" the "pre-ship inspection"... Or they figured out they were losing money on shipping it for free across the country...

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Been there Done it
7,591 Posts
Go ahead and make sure all the grounds are good first. What you are describing sounds like a brake light seeking ground. Wouldn't hurt to look in the under hood fuse box to be sure none of the 10 rear lighting fuses are blown.
If you have any trailer wiring remove all of that while you are diagnosing the problem.
Yes it could be a Multi failure switch problem, but a good OEM one is insanely priced. Even a good ACDelco replacement is over $100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Well it turns out it was the multi switch! What a pain in the arse! Holy crap. I checked all the grounds and went over all the wires like 3 times. Had sticker shock when I saw how much the name brands cost. OMG. Some upwards of 300-400 bucks. I found a cheaper one for 92 and change at Advanced. What a pain in the butt to change. Not complicated but just a pain. I’m no auto mechanic by any means. Why the ** did they use an E5 start bolt socket on the ** steering column top cover? I’ve never even scene one of these before. I had to go buy a set of them at the parts store to get the cover off. They could have just used a torx or regular hex head like everything else on the truck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts