S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
UnderDawg
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
swapped the rear axle in my 93 s10 blazer, with a 8.6 out of a extend cab s-10. need to do the front to match up gear ratio from 3;42 to 3;73. found a bravada with 3;73 gears. will that work. I'll need to replace the cv's and disconnect the vacuum lines . I'am also going to swap the electric transfer case to a manual transfer case. good idea or not. about using the diff. out of the bravada?

·
Been there Done it
9,575 Posts
A lot of guys have swapped Bravada front axles into their trucks to eliminate the sliding gear on the right side.
The only down side is that there theoretically is more drag and wear, but I've never heard anyone who did it complain of any. AWD Astro vans use the same axle w/o problems. There might be a minor issue with your 4wd indicator light since you won't have the switch on the Bravada axle. It's purpose is to tell you the change from 2wd is complete, but since the Bravada axle is always engaged there's no need for it. You can eliminate the vacuum hose all the way back to the Tee near the master cylinder since the vacuum switch on the TC is no longer doing anything. I'd keep the vacuum reservoir ball for the benefit of the HVAC vacuum.
What year Bravada axle are you planning to use?

·
UnderDawg
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information! It is from a 1999 , just saw it yesterday at auto recycler. Am switching to manual transfer case and was thinking I might not have the indicator light any ways.

·
UnderDawg
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the transfercase is the original tc for the 93 with a digital dash. the manual tc is from a 92 has the standard dash board. I'am thinking both transmissions are the same. 3sp with overdrive. what issues may i have with that. stripped the 92 down to the sheet metal and saved everything. Love the digital, wasn't working when I got the truck but did repair after watching youtube videos and ordering parts. pretty proud of myself! hears another question you might be able to help me with.... Valve timing... the 92 valve timing cable was manual and hooked up to the throttle on the intake. but the cable hooks up to a vacuum ball on the 93. What should I do about that? and should I change the ecm/pcm/ computer box? what ever its called sure you know what I mean.

·
10+ 1st Gen 4.3's
272 Posts
1993 transmission is electronic. The main hurdle for going to a manual shift t-case in a 93 is the Low-Range signal to the ECM to change the shift points when in Low Range. In the electric shift t-case, the TCCM sends this signal when in Low Range. I did a similar conversion (I put a 93 engine and 4L60e in my 1991), and for awhile, I had a relay that was energized by the t-case shifter indicator lights switch which grounded the gry/blk wire for Low Range. The indicator light switch went wonkey over the years, and the one time I needed Low range in 15 years, the trans wouldn't shift correctly. I ended up installing a small toggle switch that grounds the gry/blk "low range request" line when I need Low Range, which isn't very often.

Electronic or Standard dash has no influence on the T-case controls or electrics.

The front axle switch circuit also disables the anti-lock brakes when in 4 wheel drive. If your 4-WAL still functions, and you use 4X4 in conditions like snowy highways, you might want to figure this out if you don't have an axle switch.

·
UnderDawg
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I'am going to just buy a new gear set for existing axle.. was at the yard started taking it out and changed my mind. I can get my cv shaft off my truck without taking the front end apart. don't thing that would be the case with the newer style inner cv,s.... the Dash instrument cluster questions is in simple... is a digital cluster interchangeable with the standard instrument cluster? or do I need to change some wiring.. I should have it if I need it.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
183 Posts
Think I'am going to just buy a new gear set for existing axle.. was at the yard started taking it out and changed my mind. I can get my cv shaft off my truck without taking the front end apart. don't thing that would be the case with the newer style inner cv,s.... the Dash instrument cluster questions is in simple... is a digital cluster interchangeable with the standard instrument cluster? or do I need to change some wiring.. I should have it if I need it.
The digital cluster and a analog clusters have different connectors, in different locations. The analog plugs in the bottom left corner if looking at the face, the digital plug is pretty much center of the cluster. You can find schematics for both style connectors if you decide to swap. As far as I know there aren’t any adapters that are sold but you could make your own so that if you want to go back to digital all you have to do is unplug it, instead of cutting and splicing. Also being as you have the digital dash you already have a pin for the tach if you can find a analog tach cluster, good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts