S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have an 01 Sonoma 2.2L and over the past few months the back wheels have been locking when I first start for the first 3 or so brake applications. It has been getting progressively worse and now it happens really bad after everytime I drive the truck. I just replaced the wheel cylinders and it is still happening. I have also been getting bad fuel economy ~16L per 100km so maybe they are dragging? The brakes are fine after the start, but sometimes the wheels lock and I just drag the back wheels. Anyone know what it might be?

41,576 Posts
Support the back of the truck on jackstands with the front wheels chocked and see if the wheels turn freely by hand with it in neutral. If that checks out then pull the drums and inspect the shoes for contamination. If not the wheels cylinders it could be an axle seal. If that checks out make sure the adjusters are free and functioning properly. Put the drums back on, adjust the drag and then see where you're at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did all that already, wheels turn good feels like maybe a little drag but they spin pretty good. I checked inside all the drums and shoes like fine. I did all the self adjusting. I guess I'll try to figure out the axle seal situation.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,454 Posts
first thing to try- completely swap out fluid for fresh brake fluid- you may have moisture somewhere. the s-10 gravity bleeds easily- so just bleed each wheel till you get fresh and clean fluid.

·
Been there Done it
10,922 Posts
A defective rubber brake hose can act like a check valve. When you apply the brakes the fluid moves to the wheel cylinder to expand the shoes, but when you release the pedal the fluid doesn't return. Seen this many times. As the hoses get older they swell up inside.The high pressure generated by the master cylinder will force the fluid past the swelling, but the return pressure is quite low so the fluid stays put.

Reactions: TomA

·
LS3 Cruisin'
2,053 Posts
Do you get any lights on the dash particularly an ABS/brake light either when you first start or after you push the brakes a few times (even if it then goes out?).

What is the condition of your parking brake, do you ever use it, does it apply and release properly or is it rusted right up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No ABS Lights or Lights at all. Parking brake is good. Use it everytime I park, everything is good with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts