S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed a set of hawk performance pads 3 weeks ago. i got it from a high performance shop. problem is the pads are starting to squeal just slightly. it's not too loud, but it's noticeable.

i've checked the calipers, and i dont see anything wrong mechanically. could it be the pads? could it be contaminated somehow. i used brake cleaner generously when i installed it. do you guys know if i can buy anything to apply to the pads to quiet it down a bit?

i would a ppreciate any answers.....:) :) :)

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
With high

performance pads, they are going to squeak. It just has to suck:bash:

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you're saying there is nothing i can do about it? then i guess i'll have to get use to it.

thanks.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
shave the pads if they arent already,
___________ ___________
[___________] /_____________\

unshaved shaved

·
Registered
745 Posts
stop that squeak

Get you some copper grease and coat the backs of the pads as well as the edges and put them back on.I bet it will stop that noise!

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ONEBDGMC said:
shave the pads if they arent already,
___________ ___________
[___________] /_____________\

unshaved shaved

you mean make the sides tapered a lilttle bit right?

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: stop that squeak

rick said:
Get you some copper grease and coat the backs of the pads as well as the edges and put them back on.I bet it will stop that noise!

so you figure the noise is caused by the backing plate rubbing in to the caliper? i thought it's the pad material rubbing against the rotors that's making the noise.

i'll try it this weekend and hope it works.

thanks.....

·
Camaro Owner, S10 Lover.
148 Posts
Any performance bad is going to make some squeeling noise. Depends on the type of pads but im 99.9% sure they are semi-metallic breakpads. They will make noise because they have a higer volume of metal in the pad, hence, metal to metal equals noise! Like someone mentioned above, get that "lube" for them, it should either go away, or not be as loud.

If you cant bear it take the pads back "under warranty". Then, buy yourself a nice set of ORGANIC performance brake pads. No noise, or brake dust (very good for custom rims). Only bad thing is they wear fairly quickly. (15-20K range, my driving 10-15)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts