S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my 3.73 rear from my 2.5L s10 to put behind my 350/700r4. I replaced the stock 3.08 rear. My problem is that where the brake lines go into the tranny, both sides broke...:(
On the drivers side where the bleeder valve screws in, it split in half. On the passenger side it split as well and the whole piece where the brake line goes in and the bleeder valve actually broke off of the rear end.

My question for your rear end guru's is as follows:
Can I unbolt the part of the rear that goes on the axle tubes??? The part that brake shoes go on and the drum covers. If I can, than I'll be tickled to death.:D
That way I don't have to swap axles again, and pay someone to swap my 3.73's into the 3.08 rear end.... Thanks for the help.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just pulled my 3.73 rear from my 2.5L s10 to put behind my 350/700r4. I replaced the stock 3.08 rear. My problem is that where the brake lines go into the rear end, both sides broke...:(
On the drivers side where the bleeder valve screws in, it split in half. On the passenger side it split as well and the whole piece where the brake line goes in and the bleeder valve actually broke off of the rear end.

Can I unbolt the part of the rear that goes on the axle tubes??? The part that brake shoes go on and the drum covers. If I can, than I'll be tickled to death.:D
That way I don't have to swap axles again, and pay someone to swap my 3.73's into the 3.08 rear end.... Thanks for the help.
edited

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
I just pulled my 3.73 rear from my 2.5L s10 to put behind my 350/700r4. I replaced the stock 3.08 rear. My problem is that where the brake lines go into the tranny, both sides broke...:(

Of course you can unbolt the drums from the axle tubes.

First, pull the drums off. Then pull the shoes and all that shit. Pull the diff cover and remove the 2 C-clips holding the axles in. Then pull the axles out. There will be for nuts and bolts holding the drum back plate to the axle tubes.
That solves your first problem.

However, you don't need to do all that if you're just wanting to replace the brake lines. Whip out a wrench and pull the tube fitting off the backing plate. Go to Napa and get some brake line and replumb the rear. Its 3/16ths brake line. Word of caution, 3/16th" brake line doesn't like to get double flared. So go to napa and try to find the closest length you need thats already pre-flared. Short for the driver side, longer for the passenger side.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome!! I figured it could be done, I just didn't want to pull it all apart to find out that I couldn't do it... Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If everything is in that bad of shape replace the wheel cylinders while it is torn down. They are cheap, usually on the prder od $10 to$15 per side

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If everything is in that bad of shape replace the wheel cylinders while it is torn down. They are cheap, usually on the prder od $10 to$15 per side
Yeah I had planned on doing that. No sense in not replacing them since I'll be pulling them off anyways..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts