S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a '97 S10 p/u with 4.3L V6 and ABS brakes. One of the steel brake lines rusted through and leaked out.
I am preparing to replace it. But I am trying to figure out what size are the brake line fittings.
The rusty brake lines appear to be 3/16" diameter.
Are the fittings metric or imperial measures? Does anyone know what sizes the fittings are?
I couldn't find this info anywhere.

Thanks.

·
Been there Done it
7,132 Posts

Nut, Inverted Flare, 3/8"-24 Thread
A 3/8 fine thread bolt will screw right in. They are not tapered threads like pipe uses because the flare on the end of the line and the matching male flare inside the part do the sealing. That is why the nut has the recessed end - to put the pressure on the lines flare.
If you are making your own double flared lines with a tool, most LAPS have the nuts. I just wire wheel the old ones and reuse them unless a PO has round cornered them. Best way to save them is to cut the rusty line close to the nut and use a 6 point socket to remove it.
You can clean up and slightly rounded corners with a quality bastard file. Put anti-seize on the threads when installing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 335757

Nut, Inverted Flare, 3/8"-24 Thread
A 3/8 fine thread bolt will screw right in. They are not tapered threads like pipe uses because the flare on the end of the line and the matching male flare inside the part do the sealing. That is why the nut has the recessed end - to put the pressure on the lines flare.
If you are making your own double flared lines with a tool, most LAPS have the nuts. I just wire wheel the old ones and reuse them unless a PO has round cornered them. Best way to save them is to cut the rusty line close to the nut and use a 6 point socket to remove it.
You can clean up and slightly rounded corners with a quality bastard file. Put anti-seize on the threads when installing it.
Thanks! I tried to measure one of the nuts with a caliper, but I couldn't tell if they are metric or imperial. I think most (all?) of the fasteners on the S10 are metric. The nuts down by the front wheels are pretty rusty.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
rusty lines should be replaced
just do all of them
right stuff ,SSB,inline tube make kits
or if handy with tools,buy some cupronickle tubing and make them,using old ones as a pattern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rusty lines should be replaced
just do all of them
right stuff ,SSB,inline tube make kits
or if handy with tools,buy some cupronickle tubing and make them,using old ones as a pattern.
Yes, I will replace all the rusted out lines. The rear lines were replaced a few years ago and are OK. But the front lines are badly rusted, one has rusted through. I did find a pre-bent and flared kit for the whole car, $200. But I only need the front. I think I will buy 3/16" line, bend and flare it myself.

I think this is definitely the type of repair, where if one line rusts out, it is probably best to replace them all.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
my point exactly
there have been others that came on this forum to say they didnt need to replace all brake lines because they werent leaking yet. They would be good candidates for Darwin Award,but problem is others that are innocent may get swept up in that also.The curonickle tubing is softer than steel,easy to bend,but wont rot like steel does.
Buy a good double flare tool and find assorted pipe,large sockets to bend over,It will kink if too tight a bend so practice first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts