S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok long story... I replaced the gas tank and one brake light would stay on and there was a small amount of smoke coming from the steering collum. I later found a pinched wire from the trailer hitch wiring harness. I repaired the wire then dissassembled the collum and repaired the white and yellow wires going to the white plastic turn signal mechinism behind the steering wheel that burnt.. Now both brake lights are lit and will not go out. I inspected the brake light switch and even disconnected it and they stayed on. Is there a relay or anything that could be stuck? I am greatfull for all and/or any help. It is a 91 s-15 jimmy 4.3 automatic 4x4. Oh and when I turn on the flashers the front turn lights come on the brake lights dim, but nothing blinks...

·
Early Member
3,167 Posts
I would say if this happened after you disassebled the steering column, you probably need to go back and check your work.Something is wired wrong or touching where it is not suppose to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my first thought

I did that allready. It is still apart. I have jiggled every wire I can find and checked every connection. My guess is that something fried but the question is what...

·
Early Member
3,167 Posts
Have you checked your Turn signal flasher and Hazard flasher units?

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
It could be a problem in the trailer wireing harness. if the trailer wireing harness unplugs then I would unplug it and see if that does anything. good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well

I have removed the trailer harness and they are still on. As for the flasher units I am not possitive on their location. I see one in the fuse box but unsure if there are others. I read a post while doing a search that said something about a recall on newer models that had similar problems due to the hasard switch. Is that a possible cause?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts