S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have no clue if this is electrical related but i think it has to do with the switch itself im not sure cause both times it happened the pedal was all the way up:confused: , has anyone else experianced this any thoughts appreciated thanks

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
92S10LB said:
i have no clue if this is electrical related but i think it has to do with the switch itself im not sure cause both times it happened the pedal was all the way up:confused: , has anyone else experianced this any thoughts appreciated thanks
The switch is kinda setup with a slip ring it probably poped up a little and isnt getting touched by the pedal to turn it off. Its an easy adjustment to do.

Take off the kick panel under the dash it has a nut around the gas pedal and 3 or 4 screws twards the drivers seat once thats off there will be 2 switches there that come to the pedal in a bracket. Push the break pedal down and slide the switches down twards the pedal they should just click down. then let go of the brake pedal and pull up on it till its in its normal position and you should be set. Just replace the kick panel the same way you removed it.

You might only have one switch if your truck is a manual.

And if this doesnt work it could be the switch itself that is messed up.

·
'91 Sonoma
2 Posts
Have you fixed your problem yet? If not, I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I have a'91 Somona, 4.3L w/ auto. Brake lights came on two times while parked and unattended, drained the battery completely down. Found 'flakes' in the brake switch between the contacts, just enough of a path to make the circuit and turn on the lights. On my truck there were two switches on the column, the brake switch I think was the larger of the two. The switches are self adjusting so removal and installation is easy. The switch body can be taken apart, but be careful as there are springs and things that will fly out. Clean the contact points and buff them, I used plan bond paper to buff. Make sure the plunger works smooth and free. Hope this helps. Oh, one other possibility, you could buy an new switch, but what satisfaction do you get from that?

Good luck,
Harv

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
had the same problem on my x. my brake lites was on the whole day in the parking lot, did'nt drain the battery though. the good thing is mine is a 2000 so the warranty covers it. just a faulty brake swicth.

a couple of guys i know with 2nd gens have the same problem.

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys had no idea this was such a common problem i got under there and messed with it a bit and belive i fixed it cause it hasnt done it for a while buy we'll see thanks again:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts