S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 X-cab s10 with brake issue. The other day the truck to off sliding across the road and I hit the brakes. Slid into the curb and since then the brake pedal goes almost to the floor but will still stop taking it slow. I didn't brake anything and no fluid leaks. What could be the possible cause for the brake pedal/brakes acting like this? Thanks for any help.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
379 Posts
Curb shots can do TONS of damage to any vehicle, especially if you bounce of the curb. It's better to go over the curb if possible. You bent something hitting that curb by the sound of it. If its a 4wd possibly the knuckle, wheel hub/bearing assembly, brake caliper/caliper bracket, control arm etc. If one (or more) of these is bent it may cause the caliper piston to have to travel further than usual before the brake pad contacts the rotor which would result in a low pedal, among other things. If something is bent, chances are the wheel is either has toed in or has positive camber as a result. With the steering wheel center, look at each front tire, comparing the one that hit the curb to the one that didn't. Look for excessive toe in or positive camber on the wheel that hit (see image). These are a pretty good sign that something is bent. How fast were you going when you hit the curb?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
one of the kiddos broke the 4x4 axle shaft clean in half sliding into the curb.
Didnt bend the housing so I replaced the axle,and a tire and wheel

·
Been there Done it
7,837 Posts
We were kids once. Do you wonder how many they didn't tell you about?

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
379 Posts
Had a car come to me once, had done a pinball move between the curbs on both sides. Destroyed literally the entire front end, plus bent a rear trailing arm. Subframe, steering rack, struts, broken lower motor mount, cracked both wheels... everything was trashed. They only had liability insurance on the car and it was close to a $4000 repair bill if I remember correctly. The guy said his kid did it lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts