S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normal...WTF is normal ?
Is it normal to push down on the sealed brake fluid (metal) cap w/ no wear/age rubber seal & hear air escaping then re-entering the housing
(at rear) where the rubber underside snap's to the plastic housing.
I was thinking the assembly is supposed to be air tight, but there I go thinking again...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Normal...WTF is normal ?
Is it normal to push down on the sealed brake fluid (metal) cap w/ no wear/age rubber seal & hear air escaping then re-entering the housing
(at rear) where the rubber underside snap's to the plastic housing.
I was thinking the assembly is supposed to be air tight, but there I go thinking again...

I didnt think this question was a stumper...

·
Registered
101 Posts
It should be sealed. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Kinda weird it does that...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wait...I figured it out. You should have a plastic cap and underneath should be a large rubber diaphragm that seals to the cap. That diaphragm extends as the fluid is pushed into the lines. It helps the fluid to return to the reserviour. It needs a small airway to allow air in between it and the cap.

So if your diaphragm is good then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wait...I figured it out. You should have a plastic cap and underneath should be a large rubber diaphragm that seals to the cap. That diaphragm extends as the fluid is pushed into the lines. It helps the fluid to return to the reserviour. It needs a small airway to allow air in between it and the cap.

So if your diaphragm is good then I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, mines actually a metal cap/rubber diaphram & when you push down on the middle it sounds like (very little) air is pushing out/retracting back in a small spot at the very back center of the cap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts