S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a box, it has exactly 2.9 sqft inside of it. I have 2 10" speakers with an ultracheap 1600 watt amp, whos total output has been measured at about 700watt total max.

When I go here
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

And run the box calcs through, it says

For a 3" diameter port, it says I need a 5.68449 'length' port for a 34 Hz tune.

However, if I enter a 1" diameter port, it says it needs a 0.63145 length port for a 34 Hz tune. That's a small hole.

So, I have all these options, so what size is better? Big, or small? I was told that 3"x5" is good, but why not 4", or 5"? This scientific audio stuff is very new to me.

Also, some might find this interesting to know:

If I have a 400" diameter port, then it must be 106393.28368" long.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, but what's to stop me from putting a 20x100 inch hole in it? There HAS to be another variable in the equation.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
use a rectangular port.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Be practical.

If you're using a round port, get it to where you can use a common size. Like 3" or 4" diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a 20" diameter port tube. Plus I doubt you have room on one of the faces of the box to cut a 20" hole or be able to stuff a 100 inches of port into the box. If you can, that would be a neat trick and you'll have to show us how you did it. But really, that would difficult even with a slot port. 3x5 sounds good in my book.

You can always take some carboard tube or pvc and attach to the plastic port to extend it for further tuning.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: Re: Box volume calc question, real easy

megabass said:
You can always take some carboard tube or pvc and attach to the plastic port to extend it for further tuning.

That's another thing I wonder about. On that website, the port diameter is self explanatory, but the length? So I'd have a 3" diameter port with 5" of PVC piping, correct?

What I am trying to determine, is if the bigger the port, the more sound you get?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, this speaker stuff is so foreign to me. Everything is made and hooked up. The top of the cab I built it just sitting there, I need to know what sort of port to make in it. I THOUGH it would be a 3"x5" rectangle, but that website says X Diameter by X LONG.. Long? Dammit I just don't get this crap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts