S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...i have a 98 reg. cab s10. i have 2 10' jbl subs and a kenwood amp layin around, and i wanna put them in my truck just to add a lil umph to the truck. im new to the box buildin scene, but i plan on using a sealed 3/4 mdf box with a carpeted outside...now heres a few questions...first off, should i seal the middle of the box, creatin 2 chambers, one for each sub? and second, should i just drill a hole in the back of the box, run my wires, then seal that hole shut? im just lookin to a a tiny lil bump to my system, nuthin fancy, seein as im in college and broke. any suggestions would be welcomed. thanks.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
the 2 chamber thing would be ok..and will enforce the box..but instead of sealing it with which would create to chambers..u could just brace it..visit http://eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm then on the right side of the page..sroll down to 109. then scroll to the bottom of that page and it'll teach you a thing or to about bracing.
but if your box isnt gonna be too big, then u'll be fine with out it.

drillin a hole for u speakers..well thats what i was gonna do..but then i had terminals layin around so i just used em..but im sure they'll be fine..just make sure the hole is as small as possible so that it'll be easier to seal it completely. and yea make sure u seal it completely..or its gonna be whistling and stuff.. :D good luck

·
Got V8?
3,263 Posts
You will be just fine leaving one chamber, 2 or adding a brace. More than likely your box wont be very big if its for 2 10's so I wouldnt worry about bracing it particularly since you plan to use 3/4"MDF

Drilling a hole and running wire through it is okay, just seal it well with something like Liquid Nails or silicone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, thanks guys...but 1 more question...i ws lookin at the manufacturer's recommended specs: i have the LCS1000w
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Owner's Manual/LCS1000w om.pdf
and it says it needs 1cu ft...is it possible to build a box for 2 subs in a reg cab without movin the seat? id rather not remove the jack, but i guess if i have too i will. as u can see, im a complete noob at this stuff. thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so no jack. thanks. wuts the best carpet to use to cover the box? and is it ok to be a lil smaller in space then the company recommends?

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
put some polyfill or fiberglass in ur enclosure for that space problem...
cover ur box with watever u want..heh..i used tiger print..click my the link in my below..go to page 3 if u wanna see it..

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
the box size the manufacturer recommends is pretty much a basic guideline to follow. being a little under that size wont make a huge difference (it wil affect it some, tho not as much since it isnt ported).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wut is polyfill and wut does it do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts