S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to do a swap in my 93 standard cab s10.

I've been thinking about a 305 out of a camaro since they're such good motors...but i doubt it would bolt up to my transmission.

Should i jus get the 5.7 vortec motor like my 4.3 out of a yukon or an old cheyenne 4x4 and grab its computer too??

I plan on fixing it also i want to produce as many horses as possible

what do you v8 vets think

·
takes 2 balls in our game
5,666 Posts
Whats wrong with the 4.3?
You going carb or tbi?
The truck motors are great motora and plug right back up to the stock wiring.

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh the 4.3 is fine it only has 103k miles. I just want to drain it, and put it in storage for the mean time so i can have a V8.
I think i'll get a TBI 5.7L out of a truck.
Do you mean it will plug up to my wiring including my 4.3s computer??
I was told before that it will also bolt up to my tranny

·
Trust Me
24,785 Posts
yeah, the TBI's use the same virtually the same wiring. Definatly go with a 350 over a 305, they(305's) are not "great" motors as you stated.

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh theyre not?
maybe the 3 guys i know with a 305 jus happened to get the only good ones :rotf:

i will deff. look for a 5.7 at the local boneyard

·
Trust Me
24,785 Posts
It's not that they're "bad" motors, there just not good for making any power in most cases. Plus you can get a 350 for the same damn price and it will be able to handle more abuse without question to the 305.

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
same price hmm yeah that's an obvious one.
might as well go big or don't go at all.

there's no replacement for displacement

·
takes 2 balls in our game
5,666 Posts
dont use the 6 cyl. tranny, it will start to slip and then you will puting in a tranny next.I havent ever had a 6 cyl. tranny hold up under a v8.I tried it on 2 other trucks, learned the hardway,but some say it works on theirs.I guess the drove like grandpa...lol

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
hahaha never will i drive like grandpa with a V8 S10
you would not have had a choice with most 305s...lol

4.3Ls are mostly rated at 190-200hp
305s are mostly rated at 180-200hp

·
Y would you wanna do that
187 Posts
crappier internals? well thats the case with the the world class t5 trannys in early 90s camaros the v6 had steeper gearing but the internals were crap i was going to build a v6 version to meet the requirements for my lt1 but when me and my transmission shop bud tore into the v6 t5 it had weaker internals than the v8 t5 so we built up the better of the two (now the transmisson case is cracked and prolly has about 2-3 good launches till it erupts into a smoldering pile of gears)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
exactly, you didnt 100% know.

I work at a transmission shop and have worked on both and can assure you the v6 verion does not have "crappier internals"

Thanks for playing.

·
Y would you wanna do that
187 Posts
no im not 100% shure nor did i claim to be i was guessing that the internals were weaker.. but since you know what the diffrences (if any) are why wont you just tell us so we know?? and when u said the internals were not weaker were u talking about my wc t5s or the 700r4s ? i've seen a few 700r4s but i never got to tear into em just r&r are there diff designs?

·
Registered
857 Posts
throw a shift kit and a different stall converter in the stock 4.3 tranny and it should be fine. I had this conversation with a guy named rick who specializes in building high dollar high horsepower 700r4's,4l60e's and 4l80e's
and he told me about the only difference is the pump is of lower guality that puts out just slightly less pressure than a V8 tranny. he said to do those things listed and it wil be right on par with a modded v8 tranny.

he said with the increased stall speed the pump is putting out more pressure and applying more force on the clutches. and the shift kit just adds to that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts