S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on manual swapping my crew cab with parts out of my 99 Blazer.

I've pulled a few parts out of the Blazer already, but I'm going to do the rest in my father's garage. Planning on taking everything over before the weekend.

Attachments

·
Oozing Machismo
20 Posts
Very nice! Manual crew cab, **** yeah.

Welcome

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I've still got a fair bit of work ahead of me, but I should have it finished within a couple of weeks.

·
Been there Done it
6,325 Posts
Glad to see someone giving it a try.
Hope the wiring doesn't end up being a problem. That always seems to be what bites anyone doing major changes on the later models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope the wiring doesn't end up being a problem. That always seems to be what bites anyone doing major changes on the later models.
I've done a few manual swaps (not on a Blazer/S10), and on my most modern car (99 Volvo V70 T5) I used the manual ECU and engine bay wiring harness to get it done. I'll most likely be doing the same with this one depending on how it goes.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,032 Posts
Nice! I’ve done a couple S10 manual swaps. The clutch master hole is 1&7/8” hole saw. line it up in the centering dimple,and cut slow from under the hood making sure to only go through the first layer of metal. All the notches to lock the master in are already on the lower layer.

On the floor hole I drilled the boot screw holes from underneath the truck. you can see their placement from underneath,..pretty much dead center of the circular holes in the under layer..attached the boot inside the truck,and traced the hole with it. Cutting the main hole is tuff to get clean tho! At least it is for me. the floor pan is really thick! I use the same hole saw I made the clutch master hole with to do the 4 corners,then a sawzall to cut it out the rest of the way...still doesn’t look as pretty as I’d like. Very curious to see how others tackle it!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
On the floor hole I drilled the boot screw holes from underneath the truck. you can see their placement from underneath,..pretty much dead center of the circular holes in the under layer..attached the boot inside the truck,and traced the hole with it. Cutting the main hole is tuff to get clean tho! At least it is for me. the floor pan is really thick! I use the same hole saw I made the clutch master hole with to do the 4 corners,then a sawzall to cut it out the rest of the way...still doesn’t look as pretty as I’d like. Very curious to see how others tackle it!
That's how I've done it too, but I cut the straight lines a bit small and use a grinder, roloc wheels, and finally files to ease it into shape.

I don't have a great picture though and this was relocating the hole for my T56, but same concept.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! I’ve done a couple S10 manual swaps. The clutch master hole is 1&7/8” hole saw. line it up in the centering dimple,and cut slow from under the hood.

Very curious to see how others tackle it!
Thanks! Loads of great information you shared. I was also planning on using a Sawzall. After some quick researching, I'll probably get this carbide tipped blade.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NO8331S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_186VAb94QXRXQ

That's how I've done it too, but I cut the straight lines a bit small and use a grinder, roloc wheels, and finally files to ease it into shape.
I'll use a grinder to touch up the hole if it doesn't come out very good.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,032 Posts
Thanks! Loads of great information you shared. I was also planning on using a Sawzall. After some quick researching, I'll probably get this carbide tipped blade.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NO8331S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_186VAb94QXRXQ
I like the finer tooth/shorter blades for sheet metal. I use those when I cut up frames when I scrap my part trucks.

There’s some real knowledgeable guys on here about all facets of these trucks from repair to customization. I’m more of a repair to stock individual,lol. I’ve got around a dozen of these s10’s,and have had many more over the years. Unfortunately I’m limited with my 4wd experience,because I mostly deal with the 2wd trucks. I do own several 4wd,the identical crewcab ZR5 as the one you have pictured too!...don’t really like it that much,wife drives it. don’t like how heavy it feels,and blazer like it’s ridd is. Due to the wheel base It feels just like a wide turning version of my 4wd blazer to me. That 5 speed would definitely improve the driving experience.

I don't have a great picture though and this was relocating the hole for my T56, but same concept.

With all the fab experience and equipment you have I’d figured you’d have a bad azz cutter! Yeah,I cleaned mine up too the same way with a angle grinder&file.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about making it 2WD to save on weight (6 speed would be nice too). Currently it does feels like a land yacht compared to the Blazer, I'm hopping the manual swap will help. I'm also looking at doing a 5.3 swap, but I'd need to save a little for that. I'm also thinking about getting a Bravada for parts, possibly using the AWD (I want 2WD or AWD, I don't really do any off-roading), I also want the 120mph gauge cluster, Bose sound system (depending on how good it is), and maybe the front seats (might put Volvo seats in it).

I'm trying to make a fuel efficient comfortable truck I can take on trips while towing a car.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
With all the fab experience and equipment you have I’d figured you’d have a bad azz cutter! Yeah,I cleaned mine up too the same way with a angle grinder&file.
I trypically use the bridgeport for straight lines on brackets and such. I don't think the Blazer body will fit on that haha

I also have a plasma, but haven't used it enough to get consistently good cuts. I mostly pull it out for rough cutting or slicing things apart quickly. I could probably make some wood templates on the mill to help steady the shape of what I'm cutting, but will still have to work on keeping the distance from the metal consistent as well as the tip clean.

I started using files only a couple years ago, but was kicking myself for not trying them out sooner. I've been impressed with how well I can straighten lines out with them as well as finessing corners, etc. As long as I take my time and am patient with myself. That last bit is the hardest for sure.

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
Awesome!!!!

Nice Crew Cab and good plans!

·
Been there Done it
6,325 Posts
Bose sound system (depending on how good it is)
Can't tell you how a Bose system is in a Bravada, but all of us C4 Corvette owners hated it.
I replaced the whole system. You have to because you can't replace just part of it. Mine had individual amps on each speaker. They go out continually and are ridiculously expensive when they do. Bose makes a decent home sound system. Just don't move it while it's on. Problem in a vehicle is they used the same components and it is constantly moving.
The old saying is, "No highs, no lows, must be Bose".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome!!!!

Nice Crew Cab and good plans!
Thanks.

Can't tell you how a Bose system is in a Bravada, but all of us C4 Corvette owners hated it.
I replaced the whole system. You have to because you can't replace just part of it. Mine had individual amps on each speaker. They go out continually and are ridiculously expensive when they do. Bose makes a decent home sound system. Just don't move it while it's on. Problem in a vehicle is they used the same components and it is constantly moving.
The old saying is, "No highs, no lows, must be Bose".
Hmm. I was hopping it would sound more akin to my buddies 07 Silverado. I knew I was going to have to replace everything (was going to swap over the whole dash, and door panels). I'll most likely build my own system then, but I need to get this manual swap done first.

·
Been there Done it
6,325 Posts
If it's a late 02 you might want to retain the 2 din parts. Early 02's were the 1.5 din.
Most 1.5 dins end up with a single din head unit and look cheap.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Some suggestions:
Harley... I use the plasma to cut straight lines by tacking or clamping a straight edge to the material being cut. Then I just run the stinger along the straight edge. Works pretty well.

The last time I relocated a floor shift opening, I used a long punch to dimple the 4 corners above the shifter opening from under the truck.
I then took a sharpie and marked the rectangle to cut out on the interior floor. I made straight lines as a pattern and straightened out the opening.
The final step was a cut off wheel to cut out the opening.
The fit was perfect.
I cut a piece of old hood to fill the old shifter hole.

Tmonster... I give you a lot of credit. A totally ambitious project! :tup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've tried a couple times to make a new topic on here going through my swap, but the dang thing is so long that something keeps happen and then pictures break, or I end up loosing everything, so I've made a post about it on a forum I know better. That forum isn't for automotive related topics so I'm hopping sharing a link to it won't cause some sort of problem because I do want to share that I got it done successfully, and manual 4 door S10s were never sold here in the US, so I wasn't sure how hard it would be, but it turned out to be supper easy, and I'd like people to know that. If sharing this link does cause a problem feel free to PM me.

My completed 5 speed manual (NV3500) swap post.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/teckmonsters-ideal-truck-build-starting-with-a-4-door-s10/143353

For those that are iffy about clicking on random links I'll throw some pictures on here.
Ah, just figured out what's going on, I'm exceeding the max file limit. Wish I would have caught that before I wasted 3 hours making a super detailed post with lots of pictures. RIP
Anyways I uploaded what I could, the whole post is in the link above.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
TM, Im using a Bose system out of a TrailBlazer SS.
Radio,amp,XM,VCIM,Onstar.
For those that say the Bose is crap,come sit in mine,bring the earplugs.
Ive also got a JL audio sub and amp tapped into the Bose subwoofer output.
Speaker upgrades are needed for distortion free full volume.Im sure I could get better but am happy with the Infinity Kappas front and rear(all 6 channels)

·
Old Fart
2,821 Posts
Thanks for the update, it would have been nice if you would have posted as you went along. Where does the 5.3 swap stand?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
TeckMonster
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing