S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for over 6 months for something that hadn't been beat to *, and finally found it yesterday.

91 Sonoma, 2.8 5 speed, SLX Trim (never heard of that one, but seems very similar equipped to a 91 S10 with the Tahoe trim package I had back in the '90s.

Bought it from the first owner, 158K miles. He did a couple things to it: cat back exhaust, window tint, swapped out the 14" rims for 15's. He also put some repo door panels on it that rattle pretty bad. I will have to track down some decent original panels and replace.

Has some minor electric issues. Fan doesn't spin so no heat, defrost or A/C until I get that figured out. No dome light. Wonder if they are on the same circuit? Will have to start with the fuses and work out from there.

I will try to post a few pics.
9 Jan 2021.jpg dash badge.jpg

Reactions: Snowrompin4.3

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
604 Posts
Fan is most likely the blower motor resistor, pretty common there. SLX trim was the delux trim for a GMC so you should have good options.

The door panels rattling may not be the repop panels but worn out trees. Napa sells some pretty good replacements, just bring one in as a sample and walk out with a couple bags of new ones. If I remember right these ones are a kinda spiral mounting that twist lock in place. You will need a small flat screw driver to “unlock” them and twist them out.

All and all a good looking truck.

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
Try jumping the wire off the fan motor to the + battery post. That'll tell you if the motor is OK.
If the resistor is fried you should have high. Could also be the relay, but the reverse holds true there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All, thanks for the info. I will try jumping the fan motor as suggested.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try jumping the wire off the fan motor to the + battery post. That'll tell you if the motor is OK.
If the resistor is fried you should have high. Could also be the relay, but the reverse holds true there.
Where does the wire have to touch on the blower motor?

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
There's only 1 wire coming out of the actual motor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems easy enough. thanks

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Dome light did not work on mine originally, replaced door pin switches and it works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My blower motor is bad, so ordered a new one.

I lubed my door pins with 3 in 1, and dome light is starting to come back around the more I open/shut the doors. Starting to think I should have used graphite, but maybe next go around.

Thanks all for the replies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced my blower motor, and it works fine.

Now I have to fix the vent selector. It all blows out of the floor/heater vent, no matter which setting I put it on, defroster, dash, a/c, it all comes out on the floor. Did a little research on the problem, looks like it could be the vacuum lines, or maybe the in-dash controls.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,143 Posts
Go for the easy stuff first...vacuum lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts