S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
ACTUALLY, you can safley bore it 60 over. Just like a 350, since the 4.3 is the same block w/ 2 cylinders missing. And you will still have plenty of cylinder wall.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
mtl_hed said:
ACTUALLY, you can safley bore it 60 over. Just like a 350, since the 4.3 is the same block w/ 2 cylinders missing. And you will still have plenty of cylinder wall.

This one I got to check out. A number of people have said via, posts, rumors and supposed knowledge that even a newer 350 shouldnt be taken out that far, that something was slightly changed in the casting design that you should not do this????? Now its got me wondering, I know from the old days you could easily go .060 and sometimes more and have done it myself, the newer motors I just started to get into( kinda let the old kid in me die) I dont know much about and sometimes go by what others say works. Must know truth, got plans myself, letting the 18 yr old take back over my body and mind.:evilg:

·
Registered
201 Posts
99% sure on this. The casting is different, i think it changed in when the vortec heads came out, but the cylinder walls should bethe same width. I've seen new CameroSS's bored 60 over AND with a charger on top. So its possible.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
mtl_hed said:
99% sure on this. The casting is different, i think it changed in when the vortec heads came out, but the cylinder walls should bethe same width. I've seen new CameroSS's bored 60 over AND with a charger on top. So its possible.
\

Cool. What I had heard was the sleeves were the same so they could take the .060 over, but the change in the casting was the amount of mass around the sleeves that could cause a heat related problem, couldnt take as much? I this is right , this could be true?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The heat dissipation on the Vortecs is better than the older 350s so it seems unlikley.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the bore that much anyway, you should aim for 20+psi of boost out of a turbo like me.:evilg:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Cool something new, thanks!
I got a car for speed when wanted, the trucks a daily driver and must be reliable, but love speed and have to have it in everything.
To me a S/C or turbo is last gap measure after you done all you can on a N/A and are still bored with it, and after that add NOS, before any is done,nah, cowards way out to me. Maybe after I get another vechicle and get the 4.3 in the truck at 400 N/A which can be done, I'll do a turbo or S/C. And the truck and car are paid for,Hum, talk momma into another , and truck can be toy #2.

·
Registered
201 Posts
COWARDS WAY OUT!:p No they are just different approaches to the same objective. If you bore out your engine boosting(or NOS) it will be more difficult as the cylinder walls will be thinner. I would like to see you make 400+ hp with NA on the 4.3. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you have to be rich AND nuts.:rolleyes:

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
theres a guy here in town thats got his bored like 40 i think along with headers and all the usual boltons except fans and hes runnin 14s AND its a extended cab with a tool box LOADED with tools hehe just think what that would be like in a single cab truck

·
Registered
201 Posts
methods of incresing displacement:
---boring out:
pros-
+you gain displacement
+the bore over stroke ratio is higher which means less stress on the crank and less "oval cylinder" problems
cons-
-loss of cylinder wall width
-possible heat dissipation problems

---thicker head gasket
pros
+increase displacement
+slightly lowers compression to allow more BOOST:evilg: or NOS
cons-
-heat dissipation problems
-slight loss of low end

---stroke out
pros
+increase displacement
cons
-as revs double stress on con rods QUADRUPLES
-lowers bore over stroke ratio
-more stress on crank

You can bore the 4.3 30 over to 4.5 then stroke it to ~5.0-5.2 BUT the stress on the engine internals will be great and gas mileage will be like a$$.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
mtl_hed said:
COWARDS WAY OUT!:p No they are just different approaches to the same objective. If you bore out your engine boosting(or NOS) it will be more difficult as the cylinder walls will be thinner. I would like to see you make 400+ hp with NA on the 4.3. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you have to be rich AND nuts.:rolleyes:
Well ya know what I mean:thumbup: If they ever do and decent intake for these and release them, 400 would not be out of the question for a decent buck. Ya, more than a S/C, but still around one, then leave you room still for it and get over 500H.P.. Now that would be fun. I'm making 193 rwhp now, which is around 240 at the motor and I havent gone internal yet! So I know 300 is obtainable.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Crower 1:6 roller rockers
ADS Module
ASP Crank Pulley
E-Fan by mistake
MSD6AL
JBA headers
Custom Y-pipe
3 Inch Random tech cat and 3 inch Dynomax super with turn down
K&N Gen 2
Iat relocator
MAF is gutted and bored over
TBI: Deflector removed- Bored .060 over with custom throttle plate
EGR inlet size decreased to 1/16 of and inch

·
Registered
201 Posts
964pt3: Since they do not make a aftermarket intake manifold for our engines you may be interested in www.force-efi.com. They make custom sheet metal intakes for all engines. They will probably be making me a 12 injector manifold for my turbo setup. Oh yeah, they can make manifolds pre cut for direct port n20 injection also:evilg:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts