S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My 4.3L has a new remote set up
I ran my boost control just like this pic
question is, do i have to run a check valve at the T?
or it a normal T ok?
I just wanna be sure
thanks guys
KB-

·
Registered
714 Posts
Where is your reference to the manifold?? All I did for my boost controller was run a vac line from the side port of the wastegate to the boost controller then from the boost controller to the manifold. No pressure fitting on the turbo or anything like that. Also the top/bottom of the wastegate (however you want to look at it, just not the side port the other one) that port needs to be vented to atmosphere, do not connect it to anything, I have no vac line on it at all. Trust me I played with all this when my truck was on the dyno and it kept overboosting and not functioning right until we hooked it up how I have it now.

·
Registered
714 Posts
As for the T, if you use a T to T into a vac line for manifold reference you do not need a check valve in it just any regular T will work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The way geoff described is how i normally see cars setup with a manual turn style boost controller.

Normally the top port is used in applications running a solenoid for a pmw (electronic waveform signal) style controller like what i have on one of my other cars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way geoff described is how i normally see cars setup with a manual turn style boost controller.

Normally the top port is used in applications running a solenoid for a pmw (electronic waveform signal) style controller like what i have on one of my other cars.

if mine is ran like this pic
say the regulator needle is all the way shut- then the wastegate will open up at normal 9psi

if i start to crack the needle open- it will take some of the psi and put it to the top of the wastegate, helping the spring, so it can climb in boost?

am i wrong?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes i do believe that would work as well.

What sort of ems/tuning software are you using? To be honest im new to the s10 forced induction community but have been tuning boosted imports for years.

Back to my point. Does your ems software allow a boost cut limiter?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well I am using a Tial wastegate in my set up as well and the way I got my boost controller to work was by just running one vac line from the manifold to the side port of the wastegate with the boost controller in between them. Whenever I attached any vac line to the top port that is suppose to be vented to atmosphere the truck would overboost and we had to let out. We played with this for a while when it was on the dyno.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a million Geoff!
I can totally see why I should plump it the same way as you.
thank you for all of your help!

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
It helps to understand how a waste gate works.

with boost pressure applied to the side port it works with the exhaust pressure as it fights against the spring in the waste gate and helps open the waste gate to bleed off exhaust pressure and lower your your total psi.

with boost pressure applied the top port it works with the spring pressure to help keep the waste gate closed which will increase your exhaust pressure to turn the turbine wheel faster so you can build more boost

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
it depends on how much boost pressure you're wanting to make and how much your spring pressure in the waste gate is on how you will want to plumb your lines. Hope this helps anyone in the future

·
Registered
714 Posts
Also it will be cheaper if you do it the way I did since you will only need to run one vac line and when they are as long as they are with us remote mount guys you can save a good bit by just running the one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It helps to understand how a waste gate works.

with boost pressure applied to the side port it works with the exhaust pressure as it fights against the spring in the waste gate and helps open the waste gate to bleed off exhaust pressure and lower your your total psi.

with boost pressure applied the top port it works with the spring pressure to help keep the waste gate closed which will increase your exhaust pressure to turn the turbine wheel faster so you can build more boost

Not so sure you are right on this, I have never heard of any way to run a lower psi than what your spring is, only higher with the use of a boost controller. With the boost controller turned all the way out(counter clockwise) you will be at the boost level of whatever wastegate spring you have in there, then you turn the knob to go to a higher level. And in my case I have mine on the side port and I am not running less psi than my spring, I am at 12 psi right now and my wastegate spring was a tial one that is 8.7 psi

·
Registered
93 Posts
there is more than one style of manual boost controler and you need to follow the instructions for the unit that you have.

the one that goes to the bottom of the wg bleeds off some of the boost signal to the wg causing it to stay closed longer and increase boost.

the one that goes to the top applies pressure to help the wg spring keep closed and increase boost.

i have used both and didn't notice one working any better than the other.

i am not sure what s10stud was saying but in a way he is right. by hooking that line to the bottom of the gate you do lower your boost level but you only lower it to the rating of the spring. without that line the boost will spike very high.

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
Also it will be cheaper if you do it the way I did since you will only need to run one vac line and when they are as long as they are with us remote mount guys you can save a good bit by just running the one.
Are you running the line from the manifold?!?!

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
Not so sure you are right on this, I have never heard of any way to run a lower psi than what your spring is, only higher with the use of a boost controller. With the boost controller turned all the way out(counter clockwise) you will be at the boost level of whatever wastegate spring you have in there, then you turn the knob to go to a higher level. And in my case I have mine on the side port and I am not running less psi than my spring, I am at 12 psi right now and my wastegate spring was a tial one that is 8.7 psi
I don't remember saying anything about it going lower than the spring spring itself. Sorry if it came off that way. I don't understand how you have yours setup i guess. Plus what size wastegate are you running?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
If u have a wastegate spring of 8psi you can't run 4psi. (Unless u had a boost leak). What he is saying is a a regulator or boost controller is a restrictor to trick the wastegate.

The line off the turbo is a boost reference line and you do not need it from the manifold. The wastegate only works off positive pressure. the same way a BOV only works off of negative pressure

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
Yup, just one vac line from the manifold to the side port of the wastegate with the boost controller in between.
Im pretty sure that the wastegate isn't suppose to see any vacuum. Im not sure if it will cause damage to the wastegate eventually or not leaving it that way. I was just always told to hook it up to fitting on the compressor or make one on the charge pipe if the turbo doesn't have one like my BW s475

1 - 20 of 21 Posts