S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my bolt in c-notches, I just wanted to double check how i shoud support the frame.

I was going to putthe truck on stands in the rear but put them before the from spring perches. And then simply cut out the whole for the notch and bolt it in.

Or would i be safer to put jack stands before the front spring perches and then jacks in the back to support the weight?

I don't think the frame will bend but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
917 Posts
you could leave the truck on the ground if you wanted to with bolt in notches. You bolt them in and can then just cut the frame because the notch is already as good as its gonna get. If you are gonna jack it up go before the notch, just so you are not putting too much weight on it. Good luck, have fun. Let me know how it goes. :tup:

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks for the quick response. The notches that I recieved I will have to cut before i can put them on. They have the flat 1/4 steel plate that bolts to the frame but wher the center section the gets cut out they have a welded in 1/4 round plate for strength.

I got mine from gauge mag.com

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Put the notches in with the bed still on the truck. What I'd do, is put the truck on jackstands, then use a jack under the rear frame rails. Do one at a time. Jack it up until it just barely touches the frame rail. Then do the notch on one side. Then repeat the process on the other side.

Word of advice... don't weld in the notch. Bolt it in. You may end up wanting to go lower, and will need a bigger notch, and then you will have to cut out the welded in bolt in notch if you did it that route. The bolts will hold just fine as long as you don't cut too much out of the frame. If you have a plasma cutter then life will be real easy makin the cuts.

·
Registered
917 Posts
SlammedDime said:
What I'd do, is put the truck on jackstands, then use a jack under the rear frame rails. Do one at a time. Jack it up until it just barely touches the frame rail.
Good call. Good luck man, have fun. :tup:

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SlammedDime said:
Put the notches in with the bed still on the truck. What I'd do, is put the truck on jackstands, then use a jack under the rear frame rails. Do one at a time. Jack it up until it just barely touches the frame rail. Then do the notch on one side. Then repeat the process on the other side.

Word of advice... don't weld in the notch. Bolt it in. You may end up wanting to go lower, and will need a bigger notch, and then you will have to cut out the welded in bolt in notch if you did it that route. The bolts will hold just fine as long as you don't cut too much out of the frame. If you have a plasma cutter then life will be real easy makin the cuts.

Thanks to all. I did exactly as you said and it worked out great. I am almost done with the passanger side. I need to go get a better drill and a bigger bit from my dad.

I do have a question though. I went up pretty high but i made sure that i kept the top piece of the notch the same height as the frame. Now on the part of the frame towards the front it fits the contor of the frame perfect. I was able to drill out the holes with no problems. On the backside of the frame the lower bolt holes for the notch hang off the frame. I was gonna just drill new holes about 3/4 inch up to fix that. But I have never read of people having to modify their c-nothces before.

Is this common, are these bolt in notches universal. When I ordered mine i made sure I ordered mine for and S10.

Thanks for all the help...

Matt

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well everything went pretty good. I have the passenger side completly done.

The only problem I have now is that the charcoal canister is right in the way for the drivers side. I now need to relocate the canister. This has become more of a pain in the A$$ than it should have. I need to read up on how to relocate that and will be working on it this week.

Matt

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys no camera. The only comp I have available to me is my work computer. the notches look pretty good. As I mentioned earlier I modified the notches by making the bottom of them on the back side even with the frame. Then I redrilled 2 new holes about 3/4 of an inch up and put in the other 2 bolts.

I dropped the truck to see how low it sits and its about an inch lower now. Not bad, its about what I exspected. My F9000 bag on the passanger side is compressed as much as it can, and the pupkin is hitting the underneath of the bed.

I was hoping it would lay GFX but its still about and inch high. But looks better since i have the front end sitting lower now. Before it had a rake to it when it was aired out. lol

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts