S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a 96 4.3L and it runs good execpt for when at full throttle, it pretty much dies off. When floored, the engine kind of sputters like it wants to rev up, but doesn't increase RPM's at all, but if I left off to about 3/4 throttle, it takes off fine. This problem happens whether in neutral or driving. I'm thinking its a fuel related problem or something, anyone have any ideas?

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Is it RPM specific? It could be a fuel problem. Holding a pressure gauge on the port under the hood while having somebody rev it up for you should tell that.

Or, it could be a failing coil. They can exhibit those exact symptoms as well, often RPM-specific.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There's a good chance your cat is clogged. That shares the same symptoms with what you're experiencing.

·
drag that shit
259 Posts
mine did the same thing an it ended up being the fuel pump. i know that it is an expencive fix but that is what i would place.you can tell by hooking a fuel pressure tester up to it. when you release pressure at the tool an engine dies then it is the pump. atleast that is what happened to mine. an do you have a blazer or a truck. we cut a hole in the floor of my blazer instead of droppin the tank. since the lines are a pain in the ass to get off an break really easy that is why i decided to jus cut a hole.the hole was only 6x6 an made things so damn easy.

·
drag that shit
259 Posts
that was where i started first. then went to a tune up. after that i unbolted the cat an checked it. finally i went to the fuel pump an that was the prob. but atleast now the blazer has a complete tune up. so it shopuld be good for another 140000. cuz everything under the hood was stock so it should be good for a while.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
agree with ^^^^^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts