S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to change the body mounts on my 96. They were terrible. Previous owner decided he wanted to try and change the passenger side mount. Well, he got the bolt loose and the nut inside was just spinning so he left it like that and drove on it. This caused both rear body mounts to be garbage and the bed and cab wasn't even in line anymore. So I cut up the inside of the cab and changed both rear body mounts and tac welded new nuts inside. I might have to do the same thing with the front mounts. Here's what it looks like after it's all done. I don't think it turned out too bad and I'm going to be putting dynamite down before I put the carpet back in.
Automotive tire Hood Water Grey Automotive exterior

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
Your Handle says it all. Fact of life in Ohio and surrounding salt belt states.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Many threads on the internet for S-vehicles and GMT400’s concerning this problem.

I was able to disassemble the removable portions on a MI 1996 Sonoma reg cab I purchased 2 – years ago. After removal, I thoroughly cleaned out the nut enclosures/cavities for the back 4 – mounts w/ compressed air; Purple Power; and much water. Hopefully the anti-seize I placed on the bolt threads and Fluid Film sprayed into the 4 – cavities will prevent the carnage you encountered.

I was unable to source non-OEM M12-1.75 x 95mm 10.9 hex flange bolts locally, so I ordered 90mm replacements from The Bolt Barn ebay store.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many threads on the internet for S-vehicles and GMT400’s concerning this problem.

I was able to disassemble the removable portions on a MI 1996 Sonoma reg cab I purchased 2 – years ago. After removal, I thoroughly cleaned out the nut enclosures/cavities for the back 4 – mounts w/ compressed air; Purple Power; and much water. Hopefully the anti-seize I placed on the bolt threads and Fluid Film sprayed into the 4 – cavities will prevent the carnage you encountered.

I was unable to source non-OEM M12-1.75 x 95mm 10.9 hex flange bolts locally, so I ordered 90mm replacements from The Bolt Barn ebay store.
Man you got lucky. Bad thing is I have a gmt400 also that will eventually need body mounts. Scared to death to do it that truck is my baby. Not sure why you had to get new bolts my Dorman kit came with new hardware and bolts included.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Man you got lucky. Bad thing is I have a gmt400 also that will eventually need body mounts. Scared to death to do it that truck is my baby. Not sure why you had to get new bolts my Dorman kit came with new hardware and bolts included.
I reused the “hats” and retainers after quite a bit of work. I replaced all 6 - cushions with a $63 Prothane cushion kit from Amazon. Harsher ride but much, much cheaper than buying the Dorman mount assemblies.

I repaired all 6 – mounts on my father’s GMT400 regular cab, reusing what I could, and replacing that which was required with LMC products and 10.9 bolts from a couple different sources. 2-4 of those rotted bolts were approximately half of original (12mm) diameter. That frame is so bad I lobbied to do the minimum to reattach the cab to the frame. I ended up JB Weld’ing large washers to the top and bottom of the brackets where the holes had rust-enlarged and allowed the top cushion to drop through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts