S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this really all I need to lift my truck 3"? If so, I'm gonna buy it today. :D What's the difference between a body lift and a lift kit? I just want my 2WD to sit higher off the ground and have more ground clearance. Aint like I can go offroadin and all that.

Actually, right now I have 235/75 15s on my truck, so would I even need to get bigger tires?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10614/s-10101/p-100000159499/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10368354/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000015949910368354

Thanks!

·
Registered
488 Posts
body lift means your are putting spacers (basically hockey pucks) between your frame and body...

so you wont get any ground clearance from it, you will stay exactly the same ground clearance

BUT! the main reason for a body lift is to fit bigger tires which WILL give you better ground clearance

its cheaper and keeps everything stock, so do it and get bigger tires!

31's or 32s with some shackles and trimming

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TheDingo said:
body lift means your are putting spacers (basically hockey pucks) between your frame and body...

so you wont get any ground clearance from it, you will stay exactly the same ground clearance

BUT! the main reason for a body lift is to fit bigger tires which WILL give you better ground clearance

its cheaper and keeps everything stock, so do it and get bigger tires!

31's or 32s with some shackles and trimming
Thanks so much for the reply, Dingo. I aint lookin to spend much money, so what all will this involve? Can I mount 31" tires on my stock wheels? How much are those? What's the shackles and trimming?

Sorry for all the questions. I know a lot about cars and whatnot, but not about liftin.

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
shackles are basically the flex point between the frame and the rear of your leaf springs, only piece there, check it out, yours is about 4 inchs

basically, you replace that with a bigger one, and it drops your leaf spring, lifting your truck

to see if you should trim... get a little ramp going and flex your front and back, to see where your tires will rub on your fender, im not sure if you have a first or second gen, first is easy, hack where needed, keep it together enough, if you have a 2nd gen, let me know, i will grab the link showing how to trim the front

the rear is simple cuz a bed is basically sheet metal wrapped around your frame so you can hack and slash

oh and hit it with some rustoleum close to your color after you are done

the body lift, go for it, just be sure to have air tools and at least one friend, i suggest getting a couple, and dishin out for beer and pizza, thus you can get it done

you are gonna get plenty of clearance, enough for 31's at least, might rub at full turn so adjust accordingly, spacers if needed

keep your stock rims, they work just fine, 31's are going to run at least $500, $50 for mounting or so, you can get some pro comp muds on ebay i think right now for $500 shipped, i just got them 2 ish months ago, they are nice

·
Registered
13 Posts
TheDingo said:
shackles are basically the flex point between the frame and the rear of your leaf springs, only piece there, check it out, yours is about 4 inchs

basically, you replace that with a bigger one, and it drops your leaf spring, lifting your truck

to see if you should trim... get a little ramp going and flex your front and back, to see where your tires will rub on your fender, im not sure if you have a first or second gen, first is easy, hack where needed, keep it together enough, if you have a 2nd gen, let me know, i will grab the link showing how to trim the front

the rear is simple cuz a bed is basically sheet metal wrapped around your frame so you can hack and slash

oh and hit it with some rustoleum close to your color after you are done

the body lift, go for it, just be sure to have air tools and at least one friend, i suggest getting a couple, and dishin out for beer and pizza, thus you can get it done

you are gonna get plenty of clearance, enough for 31's at least, might rub at full turn so adjust accordingly, spacers if needed

keep your stock rims, they work just fine, 31's are going to run at least $500, $50 for mounting or so, you can get some pro comp muds on ebay i think right now for $500 shipped, i just got them 2 ish months ago, they are nice
Can yu please direct me to any source about trimming fender wheels on an 01 2wd s-10 p/u. I have lifted it 2" and have 31s on it and the front tires rub on the thin metal fender lining in a tight turn. Can this lining be trimmed or even removed? Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
488 Posts
OH YEAH!

this should make it clear just fine

heres how to trim there (how to trim 2nd gen, its for a zr2, but it is the same, disregaurd the flares = http://www.blazer-2.com/trimming.html) (BE CAREFUL ON THE DRIVERS SIDE, THERE IS A VACUME HOSE THAT RUNS OVER THERE JUST BEHIND THE FIREWALL, YOU DONT WANNA HIT IT, check it out and you will see, just be careful lol)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts