S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a poly urathane xenon aggressive body kit and i wantsed to save some money so i wanted to sand it my self im just asking should i use 400 grit then? and after that should i use 600 to finish it off beofre i prime it i need some steps here lol please help me thank you

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
COME ON GUYS HELP! ! ! ! ! PLEASE! !! ! !

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
shit im in painting class but i forgot what to use if you wait till tommarow i can tell ya once i get home

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man.....yea just need sum simple sanding help like what to do and yea....maybe you can help me prime it so it will be alot less THANKS MAN ur the shit

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
your supposed to use 320 to get adhesion to primer but 400 would be ok

make sure you put flex additive in when they paint it

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some do but my xenon kit came with none its a polyurethane not a fiberglass so i dunno i havent seen poly's come already primered

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
are you going to paint it yourself or have a paint company do it?

any prep work you do they wont warranty the paint

people usally get a 2 year warranty on paintjob at a normal shop
but if you do the prep no warranty

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is gonna make me sound stupid but i dont have a gun or compressor tank....etc cant i just rattle can primer it its sanded with 400 grit really nice now but cant i just go to hardware store and rattle can primer it and if i do do i have to buy like a....flex paint what would the term of primer be because it needs to flex or it would crack.....latex or no.....?

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so my question is lol can i rattle can the primer on....?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You Can use the rattle bomb primer cans to primer it but will eventully come off and look like poop, flex additive is added to the primer but in your case your not mixing chemicals so you will need to find a flexible plastic primer for non metal surfaces which im not sure if they make it a rattle can because i have never used it.

when ya get down to it i would not use a rattle can to do any paint work it dosnt flow out the same as a spray gun and/will make the paint chip off due to lack of adhesion

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
IMO do the prep work and have a shop paint it i know your tryin to save money and all but you will be saving in the long run if you let a shop paint it

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea.....i kno sum one just bought my system so its done this guy is offering to do it i heard hes really do does alot of custom stuff he said hed would prime it fit it paint it clear coat it and actaully trim it up and also fit it on my truck for 800 bucks good quality paint and stuff sounds like a good price? every one else wants more just to paint it like 950+

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
yea that sounds like a descent price go for it plus if you ever need somethin else painted you know you can go to him so try and make a relationship with um

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much on average would u say that sum one would cahrged to prep prime and paint a....
fiberglass ram air hood
steel stock fender
(s-10 99)
orihgianl stock blakc paint?

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks man....im only 17 but would like to actaully learn how to paint....u kno make sum money on the side maybe but actaully just to kno it for myself. i heard it takes sum money to get started but i think iot would be fun how did u get started, and where could i go to learn?

·
Platinum Plus
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oo and another question.....im gonna buy this ram air extreme hood off ebay and its fiber glass this guy apparently knows what hes doing very well is fiberglass good or bad....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i got started bout 2 years ago i was always into cars and when i was 15 i took votec for auto ref and body and i never left it is fun and i enjoy doing it, i can make good money and people always need stuff painted its a good business and great way to meet people

you can go to wyotec to learn how to paint and body its really not hard but you have to know all your stuff and be good at it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts