S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many Ranger vs. S-10 races have we all been a part of? I am curious of who comes out in front overall . I am previous owner of a 2001 4x4 Ranger ext cab 4.0 SOHC. When I raced my good buddies 2000 S-10 ext cab ZR2, he was 2 car lengths behind me as soon as he hit 2nd gear all the way up to shut off, and we did this numerous times. I know that the 4.3 has a larger supply of aftermarket parts available. But I found this odd and am still curious what others have found. I think that it is too bad that Ford will not sell the 4.0 ina 2wd reg cab any more it would probly skoot right by a 4.3. Or at least put up a fight, come on who wants to race a 3.0 vs. 4.3 might as well be 2.3vs 2.2.

Even though we would rather have something like 5.4 vs ls1

?

·
FLAVOR FLAV!!!
344 Posts
I don't have any experience with the new sohc 4.0's but i have beaten two of the previous 4.0's one was an ext cab 2wd auto and the other was an ext cab 4wd 5spd. I've also never raced any other 4.0's just these two. I've never even messed with any 3.0's or 2.3/2.5's.
I have heard of other people doing the same as Bandit stated, ext cab, 4wd on both vehicles with the 4.0sohc winning over the 4.3.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
I stomped a 2.3 auto, ran pretty much even with a 2.3 stick, and got killed by my friend's 3.0 auto/x-cab. Now that I think of it it's kind of funny, every one of them had really low profile tires, giving a little gearing advantage over me, especially the 2.3 auto, he was running 205-60-15's. Not that changed it all that much. It's hard to get a good advantage when running rigs that would be lucky to pull an 18.0 in the quarter. Looks like the special olympics going by....

Just as a note, I never really race. These were just screwing around with friend's/coworkers on a taxi runway on the now defunct Wartsmith Air Force Base.

·
THE ONE THE ONLY
141 Posts
I can usualy take any ranger unless they have some wicked shit done to theirs hehe and a couple of those slow ass V-6 mustangs haha mabye mommy and daddy should have bought them the V-8

·
THE ONE THE ONLY
141 Posts
and yeah sorry buddy but a LS-1 in a S-10 would put a hurtin to a poor little 5.4 hehe you might want to stick a 351 windsor in their for a really good race

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I've never been beaten by any ranger ever, regardless if I was driving my 2.8 truck (3.42 5spd) or my 4.3 (3.08 5spd). The 4.0 is a pile of junk, even with 207hp it still sucks. I have never even seen a ranger at the track, people just don't even bother.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would love to run some 4.0L Rangers. The only 4.0 I have ran is my brothers explorer and I can walk away from it. The only ranger I have run was a 4 banger and it got beat even worse that my brothers explorer. Like Mintsick just said, I have never seen any rangers at my local track either. But there is always a few s10s there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have only raced one ranger. It was a 2000 3.0 auto, and I had my 93 sonoma with a 2.8 5 speed. The guy that owned the ranger was my supervisor, and we raced a few times. Usually from a dig, were I would always pull on him, and once from a roll, I think we ran from 50 to about 80 and we stayed even. I have yet to be so lucky as to race a ranger yet in my extreme. I do have a buddy that just put a 2.3 turbo coupe motor in his 92 ranger, but I doubt he can catch me yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep in mind MINTSICK that the SOHC4.0 is a different engine than the old 4.0, not that anyone should brag about a ford on an s-10 forum but it spanked the ZR2. HELLBENTS-10 was in the pasenger seat at one time. My guess about rangers appearing at the track is the only peppy ones are the 4X4 4.0, and dont see much drag time. Since ford is too performance neglegent to offer the 4.0 in a smaller package. You have top admit it would be nice to have some closer competition to the 4.3 crowd, ya know the 2 closest vehicles i can think of are v6 camaros and mustangs. Yea, i would agree a 5.4 would get spanked by an Ls1, maybe Fords new 5.0 cammer crate engine would be closer.

·
Stealth Sierra
8,375 Posts
i raced an 01 exactly like my truck (ext can stepside, 2wd,) with a 4.0 and he kicked my @$$ stock for stock. but we both got some work done and raced again and finally beat him, hate to say it but they run damn good, for what they are...

·
2daXtreme
232 Posts
ive raced older 2.9's like late 80's earlier 90's. easy kills. Raced an older explorer with a 4.0 when i was stock and it was pretty even. Raced him again with mods and i blew him away. Never ran a 3.0 or a 4.0 ranger in my truck. I raced maybe a 95 2.3l with dual exhaust and ate him alive. My brother was in the passenger seat watching him as i gave him a nice 5000 rpm blast from my side swept pipe right in his open window. Said he got one of those in pain looks on his face. My brother has a 97 with the 4.0 sohc engine but he wont race me. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The problem with the ranger is there aren't enough 4.0's out there compared to 4.3 s-10. When I was shopping, my dealer had 40 - 50 rangers 3.0 or smaller, They had no 4.0's at all. In fact, they didn't have any 4x4's either. I was like, ok, they're giving an entire market segment away to the inports. Think about going to Nissan or Toyota and not finding a 4x4 on the lot. It won't happen. Sometimes I think we just give it to them (market share) without a fight.

·
I'm madly in anger with u
653 Posts
graniteguy said:
The problem with the ranger is there aren't enough 4.0's out there compared to 4.3 s-10. When I was shopping, my dealer had 40 - 50 rangers 3.0 or smaller, They had no 4.0's at all. In fact, they didn't have any 4x4's either. I was like, ok, they're giving an entire market segment away to the inports. Think about going to Nissan or Toyota and not finding a 4x4 on the lot. It won't happen. Sometimes I think we just give it to them (market share) without a fight.
4.0 only comes in 4x4. thats probably why they didnt have any with the 4.0L

·
DoorDragger
994 Posts
haha my old ranger would put a whoopin on s 10s lol i havnt lost to a truck in it lol its an 85 with a 5.0, 5 speed(for sale). im gunna miss her when shes gone, but ive moved up to a s10~soon to be bagged

·
CHEVROLET COUNTRY \/6
560 Posts
my friends stepdad has a little yellow long bed ranger thats a mid 80s model its got sport tires and a 5.0 V-8 with headers and flowmasters but thats it. But once he gets it runnin itl be nice

.....Why dont they just put the 4.2 in the rangers thats still more torque than the 4.0 I just think FORD is stupid.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts