S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im thinking about doing a blowthrough and I have toyed with the idea for a while since I need my room. Im hoping to get this thing loud enough to enter in some amature competions. What I plan with is 4 S12l7 Kicker Solo-Barics running by 2 MTX 81000D amps. Now to start off Ill have to go with half of that, one amp and 2 subs for now. Now hopefully you can understand my drawings, no one ever said I was good in art in school. I plan on putting a 3/4" plexiglass top on it and maybe mirror bottom inside. I plan on this box being vented. I have a hard BodyGuard bed cover so I cant get the exact demensions. That and my bed is full of snow at the momment.
So does anyone know of the demensions of the bed? I plan on filling half of it up and Im trying to get the maximum air space for the subs so it will hit nice and good. If I get the demensions I can start calculating the demensions of each box to make them equal. What do you guys think?

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Box Plans

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
if you want to be loud dont use plexi at all and to properly make a ported box for that its gonna be like 10 to 12 cuft so i hope your not bagged and wanna lose over half the bed for a box cause its gonna be huge

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
ibanez691 said:
if you want to be loud dont use plexi at all and to properly make a ported box for that its gonna be like 10 to 12 cuft so i hope your not bagged and wanna lose over half the bed for a box cause its gonna be huge
Don't worry about the Plexiglass, you can use it if you want, it won't hurt SPL. What it will hurt is your wallet! You'll want to use 3/4 or 1 inch, and with a box that size you are going to need a 4x8 sheet to cover the top. That's going to run you an easy $300+.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah im not going to bag the truck. Its going to be a daily driver.
Yeah I have a few pictures saved on my computer of the blue truck. Thats kinda what inspired me... Id love to have the box plans. Have any more pictures of the top off on the L7 box? Im checking out your pics now. Do a pair of subs share airspace? I heard it was better to have each individual chamber to each sub.
I thought that Plexi-glass was good especialy for bandpass boxes and so on. If its 3/4 inch it should hold better than 3/4 inch plywood. I have had a sheet of 3/4" plexi-glass in my hand before and it was some heavy duty stuff.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You say $300 for plexi-glass? Damn screw that idea

·
Registered
876 Posts
all 4 subs share air space, with the slot port in the middle. if not each sub chamber would have to have a port

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does that not effect how the subs sound? I heard its arguemental. If I built my box sharring the same airspace that would cut down on precise calculations and even money for the board.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone?

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Sharing space and each sub having it's own doesn't matter much with sealed systems. With ported setups it is generally better to share space, especially with a funky shaped enclosure like you'll have. It would be real easy to be off a small amount with airspace between the subs and have the boxes tuned at different frequencies. Some people also say you get better spl when sharing space with ported subs. I've almost always ran shared boxes.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright then im going to share space! Thanks that makes it easier on me now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts