S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a 2 bolt 350 with world heads and blower cam, 142 weiand blower hold up. with the recomended boost setting that weiand says to run. i just dont want this thing leaving me on the side of the road

·
Big Engine, Little Truck
639 Posts
9.5 is kind of high for a street driven blower motor. Most manufactures recomend 8.5, but I would think if the timing isn't crazy advanced, keep the boost levels at manufacture's rated specs, and you keep on using high-test, you should be fine. Everyone says you need a 4 bolt main engine to boost, but I know lots and lots of guys running bigger blowers on two bolts and have had no issues at all.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
you need 8:1--8.5:1 compression on pump gas w/ 5-8psi
you also need a double keyed crank and a steel balancer to be SAFE...Yes, you can get away with not doing it but is the $200 now better or worse than the engine failure later?

·
Registered
860 Posts
this drives me nuts, don't be a cheap ass. theres no room for cheapness when going fast. if you don't have the money to go crazy DON'T!

sorry if i came off as a dick but ive been gettin fed up with people trying to be cheap.

·
Ross Racing Engines
1,385 Posts
Easy fix....you already have the 2-bolt...get a set of splayed caps and have the block drilled and tapped for them. A little machine work later on the main bores and you have a bottom end stronger than a traditional 4-bolt. The caps can be had on eBay for about $60 which is dirt cheap.

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
But the cheap caps on ebay dont line up in the registers of the block, and makes machine work cost more, most likely. I used Milodon splayed caps on the 400 block I have sitting around. It was $200 of the caps and around $250 to have them installed.

·
Ross Racing Engines
1,385 Posts
That's the caps I got...brand new....Picked up a set of drill bushings to drill and tap myself, then it was just the line bore at the machine shop. But I agree, the milodon's are the way to go.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
$250 for install??? damn, I need to get in the main cap buisness... I can understand the hone work but damn $250?

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
you have to set the depth correct on the registers to .001-.003, then drill and tap the outter bolts, then line bore it, then finish with a line hone.

Its pretty involved acutally, not super hard...just lots of work.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
I know what it involves I have done it. I can do everything but the line hone and if the block and caps are correct the hone isnt needed. Just checked... The drill/tap are the easiest part...TQ the caps down, install the sleeve then drill to the depth mark on the bit, take out and tap holes with tap...I don't see why they charged so much...

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
10.5_SUCKS said:
I don't see why they charged so much...
They didnt, I did the caps myself. Thats just what I was quoted :D

·
11 second station wagon
2,921 Posts
put ARP studs on your 2 bolt block and forget about it. The crank isn't going anywhere. Your not going to build crank blowing boost with that small of a blower.

·
BodyDropped Member
3,255 Posts
how am i being cheep? i just wanted to know if that crank would work, they are well know so its a good crank, i am not trying to make 600hp ie the 142 blower, what pisses me off is people like you,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
camaro1986z28 said:
this drives me nuts, don't be a cheap ass. theres no room for cheapness when going fast. if you don't have the money to go crazy DON'T!

sorry if i came off as a dick but ive been gettin fed up with people trying to be cheap.

yea. i dont want to go big i just want to have some more fun driving it, i dont want 600hp just want like 4lb of boost, just didnt know it it would brake it, i see they do it on like the lt1 so it it ok on a old 350

·
Registered
860 Posts
bigblock10 said:
yea. i dont want to go big i just want to have some more fun driving it, i dont want 600hp just want like 4lb of boost, just didnt know it it would brake it, i see they do it on like the lt1 so it it ok on a old 350

yes, but when you build an engine that's going to be blown you don't want to build it to handle "like 4lb's of boost" because in the future your gonna want to go bigger. thats just the nature of the sport, nothings ever fast enough. in alot of cases its better to spend a bunch of money now than it is to spend a shittone later.

and tukn18's, where did that come from? how did i "piss you off" if you didn't post before i made that comment? my whole point to that comment is when your talkin about big power you don't want to put something together that "will work", expecially a short block.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts