S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, heres the scoop and heres my question.....

I have a Puma air compressor (same as DC7000 by Blowjax), and I have a Stinger sr80 (80 amp solenoid) and I am running 8 guage power wire from battery to the sr80. I currently have a 60 amp fuse inline on this wire. I am using the Square D pressure switch.

If I turn the compressor on and let it fill up to the 150 PSI and shut off, it works fine. Then if I play for a little while and drop tank pressure, the square D kicks the compressor on and it immediately blows the fuse. It doesnt blowit if I turn it on manually, but if the pressure switch kicks the compressor on, it blows it immediately.

Should I put an 80 amp fuse in since the sr80 is 80 amp or what?? I dont want to burn the wire up, so I was reluctant to put a bigger fuse in, but maybe thats what I need to do.

Thank you guys.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It sounds as though your grounding out on the pressure switch line somewhere. Check and make sure the wire is in tact and not rubed open and touching anything. Sorry thats the only thing I could think of. Ohh p.s. 8 awg wire can handle a MAX of 73 amps :tup:

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
s10nospeed said:
It sounds as though your grounding out on the pressure switch line somewhere. Check and make sure the wire is in tact and not rubed open and touching anything. Sorry thats the only thing I could think of. Ohh p.s. 8 awg wire can handle a MAX of 73 amps :tup:

The ground for the compressor and solenoid are fine. They go to the same place, but I dont think would make any difference.

I didnt know 8 guage would only handle a max of 73 amps, thats good to know.

Any other suggestions??? Anyone have a similar setup?? I am completely stumped here. Should I go up to the 4 guage wire and run the 80 amp fuse????

Thank you guys

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JAYS10 said:
i read on "bcae1.com" 8g wire should use no bigger then 50 amp fuse. jays10

hmmm......well the wire doesnt seem to be the problem, since it handled the 60 amp fuse just fine. I dont know what to do, I guess I can change the powerwire again and go to 4 guage, but it just doesnt seem like thats my problem. I cant the compressor itself drawing more than 60 amps (or even 60 amps at all) so it must be in the stinger sr80 somewhere......

·
Registered
917 Posts
By grounding out I mean that the signal wire from the pressure switch (which should be possitive) may by getting ground by rubbing somewhere, this would cause a little spark and blow the fuse. Good luck, I hope you can locate the problem :tup: I have faith in you

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
s10nospeed said:
By grounding out I mean that the signal wire from the pressure switch (which should be possitive) may by getting ground by rubbing somewhere, this would cause a little spark and blow the fuse. Good luck, I hope you can locate the problem :tup: I have faith in you

well, i can check that, but I just ran it and I dont see where it could have had any snags at all to cause the insulation to be exposed. Definetly makes a good point though......will check that when I get a chance.

So if it works just fine without the pressure switch, then it would have to in the woring to the pressure switch wouldnt it?? Because if I just engage the compressor manually, it works fine. As soon as I let it kick on on its own though from the pressure switch, then it blows the fuse.
Would you say its in the pressure switch wiring then and not the power wore going to battery from the sr80???

·
Registered
917 Posts
Most likely, who knows I've seen some stupid stuff where the pressure switch wire was just barely touching the tank, and the same thing happened.

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
s10nospeed said:
Most likely, who knows I've seen some stupid stuff where the pressure switch wire was just barely touching the tank, and the same thing happened.

its just weird because the wire is solid from the battery in the front of the truck clear up until it hits the pres. switch. I never stripped any insulation off or anything that entire route. Not unless maybe it had a spot where it was bare right off of the roll........I am really stumped here.

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what about the wire coming from battery to pressure switch?? Should it be a heavy guage wire too??? I think I used a 16 guage wire for that........didnt think it needed to be too big.

·
VVVthat thing is deadVVV
4,185 Posts
nah pressure switch wire doesnt need to be big at all. its just there to send a signal to the relay circuit and tell it to flip open. try getting ahold of a different pressure switch and see if your square d is defective. upgrade to 4 awg man. i'll be using all 4 awg to run two 380's on an sr80 relay as well.

you need to get down to central iowa and hang out with our little troop some day. i have a heck of a project going on if you want to check it out there's a link in my sig. you going to any shows this year?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had kind of the same problem....I'm not sure how much amps your compressor draws but I use a AZ compressor...from the battery to the solenoid i am running 4 gauge wire...and for the compressor to the solenoid, I used 8 gauge..same with the ground...as for the fuse blowing, make sure that there is nothing pinching...when i checked my wiring the first time, it looked fine but when i double checked, it looked like that my power wire was kind of pinching the frame so I used electrical tape and taped the whole line from the battery to the solenoid...It would be better to use a wire loom since its hard plastic...After that, I haven't run into any problems until yesterday when i tried to start up my truck...its either my relay or my pressure switch is bad...

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, just to make sure this is wired correctly, which two terminals on the square D should I be hooked onto??

NeverEnough188 said:
you need to get down to central iowa and hang out with our little troop some day. i have a heck of a project going on if you want to check it out there's a link in my sig. you going to any shows this year?
I will get together with you guys sometime. I work 60+ hours a week, and thats why the truck has taken almost 9 months to get done.
I dont get to go to very many shows, unless they fall on a Wednesday or a Sunday.......focken work!!!! lol

I will meet up with you guys sometime though, let mek now when you all are getting together and we will see what we can work out.

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I purcahsed the 4 guage wire today. Gonna install it on there prolly tomorrow evening. No time tonight.

What size fuse are you guys running??? Keep in mind I dont have a little viair 450 or something of that nature, I have a PUMA, same as the DC7000, so I know it draws more than alot of compressors, but the fill times are much better as well.

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, gettin ready to go out and install the 4 guage wire now, but something odd happened.....I came out tonight to start the truck and now the battery is dead. Its never done that before, and the battery is only about a week old.
I dont knowwhat the hell would have drained it. It was fine last night because I had it running and had the compressor going........not sure here, this electrical shit is killing me!!!

·
run and tell that
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
***** UPDATE *****

Well, I got the 4 guage wire ran, and insulated the other wires with electrical tape in case it one of those grounding out somewhere (the power wire going to kill switch, and then to pressure switch) and I now have an 80 amp fuse on the 4 guage wire.

Couldnt test it out tonight though because I have some JB Weld on the tank where one of the welds around one of the ports was leaking and I need to keep tank pressure at 0 PSI so that can dry.

I will update Sunday and see if it works now. If it does, then she is driveable and ready to go!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts