S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if I could put a blow through and have the bed open still, I am always hauling tall and long things.

Would one of those metal tool chest(tsc or delta brand) that sit in bed be able to work? (cut a hole in the front)I would line the whole inside with 3/4" mdf and liquid nail the crap out of it so the metal wont rattle when the subs are bump'n mount the box up against the bed and screw it, glue it, and silicone caulk it. would this work pretty good? It would still have a lid on it.... would the lid hold tight enough so air wont blow out? or should i just glue it shut?

Mark

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
ok. i have seen this done and was maybe gonna do it to mine.
1)you build the box that you want in the bed.
2)before you put the speakers in. bolt it to the bed from inside the box. seal around the screw holes
3)seal the box to the back of the bed.
4)you will need a rubber boot for between the cab and bed to keep water and the evironment out.
5)spray in bed liner the box and bed.
when done it looks as if it belongs there.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
just a thought. if you haul long stuff, you wont be able to haul stuff as long anymore, because you'll lose a decent bit of space in the bed. you also have to remember people will see the box, and some people know that a box = blowthru. just hope they dont get ideas and a hammer.

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
you also have to remember people will see the box, and some people know that a box = blowthru. just hope they dont get ideas and a hammer.
actually.. i think he means to take one of those truck tool boxes that sit up by the cab, and modifying that to hold the box.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
its gonna be noisy....unless he does a VERY soild mount to the bed and the bed wall, or puts rubber mats between the places where metal would touch metal. also, the lid would probably rattle pretty bad, even with a layer or 4 of sound deadener.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yes you have a point it would rattle a ton.... so i prbly wont do it that way.....I guess i will try the spray on liner.... I think that would seal it good so no rain comes in.....3/4' mdf sealed tight with spray on liner should be enough...... where do i get a rubber boot to seal the crack between bed and cab? i can still haul long stuff by stitting on top of box.

mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn must be heavy....

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
If doing spray on bed liner I would not do it directly on the MDF. Bedliner only adheres to the surface, and on something thats made out of pressed sawdust that's not a good hold. I would suggest first coating it with fiberglass resin (polyester resin) and then spraying the bed liner on that. Resin will work into the woods pores and bond to it much better than the bedliner. And since the resin is a solid surface the bed liner can stick to it much better.

I remember seeing a truck on a web page with a tool box converted to a sub box/ blowthrough/amp rack. It was an insanely nice setup, but I can't remember the vehicle. It was on a Sound Domain page, I believe it was a Toyota, but I could be wrong. It's been at least 3 years since I seen it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i will fiberglass the box then do a spray on bedliner. that sounds like it should keep all moisture out too.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts