S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...before you call me stupid....

I know what a blowthrough is, but my question is how does it work. Example....if the speakers are in the bed(not flush with the back of the cab)...does it make the system louder? I understand the need for a blowthrough: lack of space, too tall to drive...ect. ect. but are there other reasons that i'm not aware of? I'm not sure that I can bring myself to cut a hole in my cab. But then again...if it will make my system hit twice as hard or whatever...then I just might consider it. Right now I've got 4 twelves in the back "seat area" of my x-cab. Is there an advantage other than space to going with the blowthrough with my particular setup? The rest of my components are in my sig..but the amp is a 6500D..not 650D (sorry...it was a typo),
Again..sorry for being stupid...but this is a fairly new to me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
most generally the longer the sound wave is the louder it is. so the subs being farther away will be louder. think of it as when someone drives by you with there shit bumpn, seems pretty loud to you from across the street, but it might not seem that loud in the vehicle.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
loudnlowS10 said:
most generally the longer the sound wave is the louder it is. so the subs being farther away will be louder. think of it as when someone drives by you with there shit bumpn, seems pretty loud to you from across the street, but it might not seem that loud in the vehicle.

That's completly a myth. As sound travels it looses energy to air friction. The further you are from the source of the sound (the sub) the quieter it is. Don't believe me? Try cranking it up, take an SPL reading right in front of the sub, at the dash, and then 10 feet outside the vehicle. If you could pull 140 db's at the dash you can probably get 150's at the sub, and be lucky to break 120 dbs outside the vehicle.

Blowthroughs are from more room, plain and simple. They get louder for the simple reason that you can use larger/more subs, bigger boxes, more port area, etc. But other than that there is no real advantage. There may be a little difference in output (positive or negative) because the subs aren't in the same location of the cab, but the blow through itself does not do anything magical to the bass.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
I suppose I should add, a lower frequency carries further than a higher frequency. So longer waves can be heard further away, but that doesn't change the fact that they are diminishing every inch they move away from the source. And a 30 Hz bass note is the same wavelength no matter if it's in a regular cab S-10 or a school bus.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So......I wouldn't gain enough "sound" to warrant the blowthrough?.....I'm not cramped for space, so the huge box behind my seat doesn't bother me.....just thought if it made my stereo hit harder then i'd look into it.

·
forum idiot
49,646 Posts
xtreme2299 said:
So......I wouldn't gain enough "sound" to warrant the blowthrough?.....I'm not cramped for space, so the huge box behind my seat doesn't bother me.....just thought if it made my stereo hit harder then i'd look into it.
also having them in your bed is also a security issue...if you look in you cab windows...yer gonna see a box with four 12's in it... if its in the bed the wont see nutin...just get a good locking bed cover...and bolt the box down in the bed...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
939 Posts
im not saying your wrong but i heard that the farther you put them back in your bed the better they will sound because of the sound waves. this i might add was when i was talking to a audio guy around where i live and that was if i was putting a camper shell on my truck and taking out the back window just what he said i dunno not trying to prove anyone right or wrong jason

·
Registered
411 Posts
heresdamanladies said:
the farther you put them back in your bed the better they will sound
You are exactly correct...they will SOUND better might not be as loud but will sound better, especially at lower freq. because the wavelength is so large.
Adam is also correct too...to an extent (every car is different). with the BT the box can be larger...more port area...and that can "make it hit harder". there are alot of other factors that I will not get into yet...and I would have to right a book to explain them all.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Sound quality has NOTHING to do with distance from the listener. If it did we'd be screwed because a 50 hz sound wave is over 22 feet long, and I've heard super clean systems hitting that in vehicles with the subs far closer than 22 feet away. A longer distance only reduces the overall sound level, it does not increase clarity.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
lol dont u just hate it wen he does this stuff? but then u also love it cuz ur learning? heh..keep it up guys..im learnin stuff here..i have more stuff to argue about to my frend. haha

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
Im with adam on this

Only benefits I see:

Space savings
security (maybe maybe not)
and if your box needs a lot of space (more than the x cab can provide)

·
Registered
411 Posts
adam728 said:
Sound quality has NOTHING to do with distance from the listener. If it did we'd be screwed because a 50 hz sound wave is over 22 feet long, and I've heard super clean systems hitting that in vehicles with the subs far closer than 22 feet away. A longer distance only reduces the overall sound level, it does not increase clarity.
No does NOT increase clarity...but it does help deep bass response cause the wave isn't being cancelled out by bouncing off the windshield as quick...perfect example...take a listen to your truck with it sealed up in cab....now get out of the truck shut the door and go stand about 20ft away...when a low bass note hits it sounds much deeper than it does inside
also..notice that deep bass sounds better in a car with subs in the trunk...same situation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not to be a smart ass......but when a deep note hits while I'm in the cab, I can't really feel it...it's like it goes straight through me....umm....hmm....NEVERMIND....YOUR RIGHT....come to think of it, it does seem like I "feel" it more (on extremly low notes) outside than inside. my bad On another note...is it normal for the bass to be half as loud with the windows up? It still hits, but when I roll the windows down, it hits much much harder. I understand the sound pressure and all that...just wondering if this is normal for every system?????

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think whne you listen outside your truck the cab acts as a big box...so when the low notes hit, the fact that they're sealed in the cab makes them sound different.

The probably reason why bass notes sound lower outside is lower frequencies simply travel better--so a greater proportion of the low frequency waves pass through the cab unchanged, while any higher frquency waves have a greater chanse of being deflected or absorbed by the cab.

does this make any sense at all?

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Also, any waves the cab absorbed would be re-emmitted as an even lower frquency vibration.

thus it sounds lower outside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts