S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my blend door (2001 Blazer 2WD, 2DR, manual ac controls). I'm looking for a diagram that shows the location of this unit. I've done a search here on this forum as well as a Google search, but nothing specific has been found. I get conflicting "opinions". Some say it is accessed from the drivers side, and some say it is accessed behind the glove box. It's very confusing. Does anyone have a diagram of this specific car? I think 1998 and newer should all be the same. Thanks.

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
Do you need to replace the blend door or the electric actuator. If you need to replace the door the whole dash and heater ducting needs to come out. The actuator is held in with 3 screws. The rear one can be real tricky to get a tiny socket on. IIRC it's like a 3/16 or 5/32. Whatever size the front 2 are. Hard to get the socket in there and have a way to turn it, but with a bit of patience it can be done with just the glove box removed. Problem is you really can't see it without tilting the dash back. So you're kind of working blind.

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
541 Posts
The actuator for the air temp is on the top of the HVAC box. The dash has to come out to get to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so it's definitely on top of the heater box behind the glove compartment. I'll let you guys know if I can get at it without taking the dash loose.

·
541 Posts
I'm not sure why you're replacing it, but if it's because of the heater not working well there are few common issues that you may wanna check for before going after that actuator. First being a thermostat stuck open and second being a plugged heater core. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've checked everything else. Temperature comes up to normal and both heater hoses get hot. If I turn the heat on and the blower on low, I should hear the blend door moving if I listen closely at the vents. No noise, no change of any kind when I move the dial from cold to hot.
It looks like I have to take the whole dash loose. I have the govebox out and the dash bezel around the gauges, etc. (it is now a 3 piece bezel, I guess it's just old and brittle). I took both speaker grills off and the right speaker out. I still can't see a thing. The dash is coming out tomorrow.

·
541 Posts
Check fuse's? Check to make sure the temperature selector in the control head is working as it should? Sounds silly but sometimes people overlook the small stuff and it would suck to pull the dash if it's just the HVAC control head.

You should be able to find a new bezel at the junkyard fairly easily. You just have to pry them in the right spots and they come right out. Helps the put the gear selector all the way down to the "1" position so it's outta the way too.

If you pull the dash it is a darn good time to replace that heater and evaporator core while you're in there, just as a preventative measure. Let us know if you need any help along the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it was the blend door actuator. I had to take the dash loose and tilt it back to get to it. If anyone wants to know how that 's done (this is for a 2001 Blazer 2WD 2DR):

All bolts sizes are referring to the wrench or socket size needed.

Remove glove compartment and panels unde the right side of the dash. Remove panels under steering column. Lower steering column (two nuts close to the firewall, 2 nuts pointing down closer to steering wheel). Remove dash bezel (it may break from age). Remove both galvanized "L" brackets on either side of steering column (4 - 10mm bolts on each one). Remove galanized "L" bracket behind glove compartment. Remove plastic covers on windshield pillar (just give them a hard pull and they pop off). Remove both speaker grills, right speaker (this allows you to see what you doing later), and defroster grill. Remove 10mm bolts near bottom, left and right sides of the dash assembly. Be sure to hold the dash for this next step - Remove all the 7mm screws at speaker areas and defroster area. The dash should now tilt back enough to see the blend door actuator (through the hole where the speaker was). It sits on top of the HVAC box up against the firewall. If you have the new one in hand, you will see there are three mounting holes that hold the actuator in. The two mounting bolts you see (gold in color 5.5mm) are the only ones you need to take off. The back one is just a pin the actuator mounting hole just sits on (thank you GM!). Unplug the wiring and take those two bolts out and the actuator comes off.

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
Must have changed them after 99. Mine had 3 screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts