S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my bed is getting shaved taillights, tailgate, and a rollpam with LED's and is getting painted black using base/clear, if i get a tonneau cover can i spray it with some single stage and it match? or should i base/clear it also?

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
it should match color wise as long as you get the right code....but the single stage ,after sanded and buffed, will have a much deeper gloss than what can be achieved with base/clear

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow really??? why is that? i thought base/clear would have more depth? and what do you use steps for wet sanding and buffing???

i have painted a few cars for my dad's dealership and done some side work and am getting alot better and tha quality is etting better buy any tips would be amazing

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
1 wetsand
2 buff
3 polish

:haha:

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
ss has more depth, because its on top, and not in the color, i cant explain it, but think of chrome, chrome is a single stange and shines like a mother ****er, u bury clear on it and it doesnt have that same look.

i too thought that base clear had more depth, but i was enlightened. thats y black lacquer jobs were the ish back in the day.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
ss has more depth, because its on top, and not in the color, i cant explain it, but think of chrome, chrome is a single stange and shines like a mother ****er, u bury clear on it and it doesnt have that same look.

i too thought that base clear had more depth, but i was enlightened. thats y black lacquer jobs were the ish back in the day.
and that's why some hot rod guys use acrylic enamel single stage.......it's got the depth of laquer but it's catalyzed therefore a LITTLE more durable

base clear is used for several reasons.

a. you can't sand and buff single stage metallics
b. the clearcoat protects the color therefore prevent fading of pigments that you will get with a single stage
c. base clear is ALOT easier to spray than a single stage
d. and of course,when applying multi colors/graphics/ artwork,you can bury it with the clear so you can't feel it

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
and that's why some hot rod guys use acrylic enamel single stage.......it's got the depth of laquer but it's catalyzed therefore a LITTLE more durable

base clear is used for several reasons.

a. you can't sand and buff single stage metallics
b. the clearcoat protects the color therefore prevent fading of pigments that you will get with a single stage
c. base clear is ALOT easier to spray than a single stage
d. and of course,when applying multi colors/graphics/ artwork,you can bury it with the clear so you can't feel it

not to mention that old school single stage over single stage graphics were gay and the edges lacked the best adhesion.

on the same token, y not just black urethane ss or poly ss.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
not to mention that old school single stage over single stage graphics were gay and the edges lacked the best adhesion.

on the same token, y not just black urethane ss or poly ss.
i dunno...that would be the direction i'd go.....guess it's a cost thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts