S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I've talked to a fellow up in New York that is willing to make a run of about 50 billet input drums for the 700.
It is NOT a Torque Drive Enterprises design. This is an inhouse design that is CNC'd from billet. Hardened shaft and billet drum. Sprag and overrun clutch is eliminated. Drum uses 12 TH400 clutches in it. There is no buy in or anything like that and you don't have to commit to buy anything. I'm trying to convince him that there is a market for the part. If you or you know anyone that wants this part, please let me know. The more people that are interested the more likely I can get him to run them. If you have any questions that you want me to ask him about the part please let me know.

Also, do any of you guys know if there is a readily available hardened 4x4 output shaft for the 700? I've seen this one:

Will it work? It looks like the bushing surface at the rear is too small?
Thanks for your help.
Blake

·
Registered
507 Posts
Will it work?
Will it work for what a 4x4? My guess would be yes.
Bushing surface too small at the rear? Well the rear bushing rides on the rear ring gear (reaction carrier ring gear) which slides over the output shaft.
What exactly are you trying to do with this output shaft?

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is an inhouse design that is CNC'd from billet. Hardened shaft and billet drum. Sprag and overrun clutch is eliminated. Drum uses 12 TH400 clutches in it.
CNC'd from billet what? Steel, aluminum? chromoly?
How do you get the th400 clutches to mesh onto the input ring gear?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize for not writing back sooner.
I have email notification turned on for replies but I don't seem to be getting anything. I'll update my profile and see if it changes anything.

On the output shaft, I'm just looking for a shaft that is stronger than the stocker. We have guys with the syty's that are snapping them(850 HP)and this shaft runs about $140 from what I've seen. Guys like you are exactly who I wanted to hear from because of the modifications you run. Big tires, lift kits and offroading demand more of components.
It was real late when I looked at the shaft and was looking in the wrong spot. :rolleyes:
I'll call Advanced adaptors and see what they have to say about what its made out of. It should slide right in.

The input drum is supposed to be made out of steel. Anything is better than the aluminum stock setup. It seems like everything has steel drums available but us.
I talked to the owner of CK Performance about it. He's made steel drums for other apps as well. He's offered to send me a unit to try out and show others. I'll know more about what he did then and I'll post up pics than as well as long as he's ok with it. That should answer MANY questions. He said it would be set up ready to go(input drum already stacked). I'm stuck here at the firehouse today but will be in contact with him tomorrow. I'm just seeing if there is interest in the product. He's already got the program set up for the CNC process so there's no buying in or anything. The more people interested in building 700s the more likely he'll make them. The problem seems to be that every time people make serious power, they just dump the 700 and for for a 350 or 400 and sacrifice high way/cruising aspect of the vehicle. Know what I mean? I promise to post as soon as I hear back from him.

George

·
Registered
507 Posts
Now I feel better, I've seen on a few other boards people claiming to make an attempt of an improved input drum and later found they were just talking BS.

I'd be interested in trying one out, I have eight 700R4 cores to mess with and would like to put one behind the big block in my nova, I'm actually thinking of putting a 700 in it just to see what breaks.
In my opinion 12 700 forward frictions would be enough and would eliminate the need to make a custom input ring gear.

I'd be very interested in trying one out but not willing to pay a high price for a part in such and early stage of development, especially something as complex as this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know what your talking about. I've seen a "banded drive shell" where the input drum was machined to accept a welded ring. Sounds good until the steel ring expands and cracks the drum after several heat cycles.
I've put the Torque Drive Kit in several apps but I just can't see it holding up to 900+ foot pounds of torque. Seems to be what the syclone guys are turning to get 10s.
I've seen discussions discerning that the 98 and newer input drums are just as good as the torque drive kits when retroed into 1988 and up units. I've never tried that one and can't vouch for it yet.
CK also said they've got chromoly reaction carrier shafts.
He said its a two month wait but can also get JW Ultra bells for the 700s. But has got to be expensive.
I'm very new to this forum but have been working on syty's since 1994. Do many of the guys on here discuss performance mods to their 700s and 4l60Es?
The response to the input drums has been lukewarm at best. Maybe if it works on mine and a race unit, people will be more receptive. Sounds like all the BS has burned everyone out.

A two wheel drive app seems to be kinder to the 700s than the 4x4 stuff. All that torque at once breaks them unless they've been updated. I've got a bunch of GM part numbers if your interested in any. I'll put them up here.
Higher stalls tend to help take the shock off the drivetrain. GM's got a new sprag out if your into that stuff, I'll link it here too. I'll try some more searches so I don't put up anything you've already discussed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do many of the guys on here discuss performance mods to their 700s and 4l60Es?
I haven't been here long either so I don't know. I am burned out with the typical questions especially the tv cable set up.

I've seen some interesting things on other sites, there is one very knowledgable guy who visits a few of them, he once posted a picture of a 700 with the back of the case blown out due to nitrous use.
I can post a few links to other message boards if your interested in helping people with their 700's and 4L60E's.
I'd be interested in your links as well.
I'll post back tonight, I've got to get going for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts