S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
chevy guy
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what would be the biggest v8 engine could fit in the s-10 without clearance problems? and some suggestions on engines new and used.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
andocommando said:
409 or maybe even a 454
he said without clearence problems. there are enough clearence problems with a small block, a big block is a whole new can of worms.

·
I'm on a boat
10,030 Posts
there are a million variables to determine how much HP and torque each one would put out. i suggest you use the search feature

·
I'm on a boat
10,030 Posts
bww3588 said:
he said without clearence problems. there are enough clearence problems with a small block, a big block is a whole new can of worms.
what kinda clearance problems we talkin about, B/c u cant just skip a v8 in with no mods what so ever

·
chevy guy
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K here is what I want. A engine that will have NO clearance problems with torque. Im turning my truck into a racing one. street racing that is :). I just want some pull off the line and also for the engine to be fast down the quarter mile.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
EclipsE said:
You know the hp for both of them?
the 409 and 454 are two different engines. the 409 was rated at 425 hp as well as the 454 in base form, however the LS6 454 came with aluminum heads and ran at 450 hp. the 396 was rated at 325, 350 and 375 hp. the 427's came in 400 and 425 horse versions while the ZL1 427 i beleive was rated at 475 horse. IMO, finding a big block with thoes hp ratings will not be easy, then getting it rebuilt cost more than a small block and your going to have twice the money wrapped up in shoehorning it in the truck. go with a goo 400 small block and bore it and stroke it to yeild 427 cubes. right there with aluminum heads, good intake, exhaust, and ignition system, your lookin right at about 500 horse. and you can tell people its a 283 with 220 hp and smoke em. but if your hellbent for a BBC, go for it. its not impossible. there is a guy here in chillicothe ohio running around with a ZR2 with a 502 crate motor in it. it will roll all 4 tires on dry pavement for about 200 ft.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if you want lots off clearance problems go with a BB. i'm having tons of fun shoehorning in a big block and trying to keep everything working.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
andocommando said:
what kinda clearance problems we talkin about, B/c u cant just skip a v8 in with no mods what so ever
no you cant but to do a SBC conversion right, you have to clearence the frame, firewall, modify the steering shaft, move the radiator. with a BBC these clearence issues are just going to double.

·
chevy guy
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bww3588 said:
the 409 and 454 are two different engines. the 409 was rated at 425 hp as well as the 454 in base form, however the LS6 454 came with aluminum heads and ran at 450 hp. the 396 was rated at 325, 350 and 375 hp. the 427's came in 400 and 425 horse versions while the ZL1 427 i beleive was rated at 475 horse. IMO, finding a big block with thoes hp ratings will not be easy, then getting it rebuilt cost more than a small block and your going to have twice the money wrapped up in shoehorning it in the truck. go with a goo 400 small block and bore it and stroke it to yeild 427 cubes. right there with aluminum heads, good intake, exhaust, and ignition system, your lookin right at about 500 horse. and you can tell people its a 283 with 220 hp and smoke em. but if your hellbent for a BBC, go for it. its not impossible. there is a guy here in chillicothe ohio running around with a ZR2 with a 502 crate motor in it. it will roll all 4 tires on dry pavement for about 200 ft.
Im just looking for something that if I need the power its there if you know what I mean. :) the 500 horses sounds like a fun bit of power heheh

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
EclipsE said:
K here is what I want. A engine that will have NO clearance problems with torque. Im turning my truck into a racing one. street racing that is :). I just want some pull off the line and also for the engine to be fast down the quarter mile.
built 400 small block. if will fit just like any other small block and have the power you want. but you gotta remember, power is worthless if you can get it to the ground.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
EclipsE said:
Im just looking for something that if I need the power its there if you know what I mean. :) the 500 horses sounds like a fun bit of power heheh
if your just looking for power and not uniquness go with a built 350 or 400. cause 500 horse in a little s10 is more than enough. 500 horse with stickies and will get you mid to low 11's in the 1/4. if your truck is a reg cab short you lookin at a time faster then the 2006 z06 because the z06 has a IRS which robs more hp then the solid axle we have in our trucks.

·
I'm a huge ass
10,798 Posts
dude, 300 is more than what you think. i really think you have no idea how much h/p ratings really are. kids hear all these huge numbers in fast and the furious and think a car is going to be slow if it has less then 500 horse. once again a stock 350 from a truck in your lil s10 will be more then you can handle. you're 16 i doubt youll even be able to afford the engine let alone the swap.

·
Who wants a mustache ride
1,554 Posts
maybe you should start with a nice 2.8 for street racing and go from there. Thats more than enough power to do something stupid road racing and kill someone:D . But if youre going to go for it, I think I saw a motown small block 454 in superchevy mag a year or so ago

·
Some Day
5,605 Posts
bww3588 said:
no you cant but to do a SBC conversion right, you have to clearence the frame, firewall, modify the steering shaft, move the radiator. with a BBC these clearence issues are just going to double.
do you even have to do any of these things? besides move the rad... which means replace

·
Registered
243 Posts
yea okkk dude i had a 350 s 10 when i was 16, i guess just cuz were young we cant have fast stuff........ my s 10 would eat have the stuff i see on this froum i see driven by old people. o and yea i payed for it to

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.