S-10 Forum banner

201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Anybody ever try the flat 1/0ga. wire ? I saw it on Sonic and was just curious. Seems like it would eliminate some problems

·
Registered
449 Posts
Anybody ever try the flat 1/0ga. wire ? I saw it on Sonic and was just curious. Seems like it would eliminate some problems
Couldn't find it. Never heard of anybody using flat 1/0. Only true 1/0 they sell on that website is the XS 1/0 OFC. I use the Audio Technix 1/0 OFC. Only other stuff I'd use is pure copper welding cable off of ebay.

·
2000 S-10 Xtreme
18 Posts
My 2000 must have gotten the left overs for wiring. I bought it brand new off the lot so it is all orginal (or was before this weekend). 4 awg ground to the block, 12 awg to the frame and radiator support (three wires total). On the + side I have 4 awg from the alternator to the distribution block, 6 awg from the disti block to the main fuse block and 6 awg to the battery.

Anyway, just adding the 4 awg ground to the frame raised my volt reading by more than 1/2 a volt in the cab. I don't have a lot of power going through the stereo, but since my sub amp is grounded to the frame it should have a little easier time pushing the sub. I moved the 12 awg wire from the frame to the chassis since it was extra.

I think the ground to frame, and power to the fuse block are probably the weakest links.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just did this today. For those who are interested I only needed 5ft of 0 gauge wire to do this using all of the stock grounds and stock locations. Found some on Ebay for 12$. Left the factory wiring in place. Didn't make much of a change to my voltage but I did it for when I upgrade to Taurus fan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
These questions were probably been asked, but for clarity, the stock wires from positive batt to alt, negative batt to ground, and engine to ground is left alone? Just add the bigger gauge with it?

·
Registered
208 Posts

For my truck's 30th birthday (April 1990), I upgraded the electrical and installed a new head unit (kmm-x704). I used CCA 4awg (not the best but better than nothing). For the 2 extra grounds I used the stock ground location from the battery which is directly behind the passenger side headlight and I used the alternator mounting bolt. I may add another frame ground in the future. I retained all existing factory wiring. I used battery post extenders that I ordered online. I installed a new 800cca battery and a new reman. 120 amp alternator. The power wire from the alternator to the battery is fused with 150amp ANL. I understand the power flows from the alt. to the battery when the alt. is spinning, however, having a fuse near the battery on this wire is cheap insurance.

201 - 211 of 211 Posts