S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First I would like to explain the situation. I have a 2004 s10 Crew Cab. 4.3L 4x4 LS. 90,000 miles and in pretty good shape. Not much off roading and light when it is.

I have been hearing a rattling noise in the front of the truck for a week or two now and have done some investigating. Jacked it up and can move the front right tire (grabbing the top and bottom) about a quarter inch. The axle nut is tight. Someone said that with that much movement it has to be the wheel bearing. I know with it being this loose I should probably go ahead and replace the ball joints and stuff too.

I went to the parts shop the other day expecting to get a $20-30 bearing. They said that they can only get the whole hub. Is that correct? That is 100-190 dollars. Can I not get a wheel bearing for that truck, do I have to get the whole hub and all?

Let me know please

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
if there is only play in up down direction balljoints seem iffier to me.
as for that stuff, i dunno

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
I think the bearings are sealed and non-serviceable. For the ball joints, you should easily be able to see that much movement.

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
Are saying you can move the top of the wheel in and out? If yes I'd say bearing and it's a sealed unit. Sorry

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, When it is jacked up, I can move the wheel in and out about a quarter inch. It never made any humming noise and when I hit the brakes, the rattling goes away.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
****** Moving the wheel, not as a whole. The top comes out, the goes in. Teater todders. Just making a little more sence. I hope it is not the bearing, I am going to start with the ball joints and move from there.

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
****** Moving the wheel, not as a whole. The top comes out, the goes in. Teater todders. Just making a little more sence. I hope it is not the bearing, I am going to start with the ball joints and move from there.
Jack the truck up until the tire is off the ground an inch or two. Put a jack stand under the frame and scotch a wheel. Have a buddy use a pry bar or 2x 4 or something to lift the tire and wheel while you watch the ball joints. If it's one of them you should be able to see some movement. If they are tight then get ready to spend a few bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts