S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2.8L 83 s-10 and i just got it on the road a couple days ago. the first day it ran fine, yesterday the oil light kept coming on so i checked the oil and added about a half a quart. the engine light still was on and it stalled a couple times when i came into my friends driveway. today the oil light was goin on a off and then stayed on. then as i was coming home i heard a weird sound coming from the passenger side of the truck, it sounded like something was knocking. it was really loud at high rpm. i came home and it sounded like it was coming from inside the engine. i went online and looked at some forums and i think its a rod that is knocking. my dad also thinks the same thing. what should i do? should i get another 2.8l, rebuild the engine or just sell my truck? by the way my money is pretty tight too. if someone could help i would really appreciate it :wtf:

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Unfortunately, most will immediately say that it's rod knock b/c that's what the 2.8s are known for. I would probably go with the same assessment.
Would you be rebuilding the engine or paying to have it done? Getting a long block (cylinder heads, timing chain, etc) included would run anywhere from $800-$1200, but I've seen people selling them in ads (Ex, "The Want Ads", but I've only seen that catalog/ad magazine in MD) for around $500 and then putting the stuff from you old engine to the new one is not that bad at all. Rebuilding the engine could run the same amount. If someone looking to buy the truck hears the same knock, or it acts up in front of the potential buyer, there will be a huge reduction in the value of the vehicle.
If you are considering installing a new engine, what about the 3.1/3.4L engine? You could probably find a short block (excluding cylinder heads, etc) for around the same price. Supposedly, you can use the same bolt ons that were on the 2.8, with a neutrally balanced flywheel, and just swap it in. If I could, I would have bought the 3.4 engine to replace my blown 2.8, instead of getting another 2.8.
Deciding what to do with limited monetary means sucks. I thought I could save a bunch of money by just getting a 2.8 long block, and I would have if I didn't have to end up rebuilding the rest of the truck. On the engine, I spent right around $1500, including engine buying cost, some new components, etc. I decided to just go with a new engine after my head gasket blew on me in DC, and I drove it home like that (~10 miles, 40minutes b/c of traffic). The engine had questionable mileage (the speedometer cable was broken, don't know for how long), was caked in grime, and just had too many unknowns for me. Instead of just doing the head gaskets and cylinder head(s), I pulled the motor.
Sorry for the long response, just wanted to give you some things to consider.

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
hey i got a complete 2.8 and 5spd for sale, bunch of add on performance parts with it too...pm me if you decide to go that route..we could arrange dropping it off to you maybe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much would it cost? and i would need someone to put it in for me. i dont know that much about engines and stuff like that.

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
800 for it all..2.8 motor 30 over 5spd trans, k&n filter, flowmaster exhaust system,power pullys,msd coil,computer,harness, new clutch,b&m shifter..motor has approx 30k since rebuild exhaust manifolds ypipe cat all accessories a/c alt water pump...everythings good just removed for a v8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, whats wrong with it? sounds too cheap to be good. how many miles on the engine all together? and my truck is a 83 s-10 so would it work with that?

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
nothings wrong with it...i just need to get it outta my garage.. no point in keeping it since ill never go back to a v6..158k all together...im sure if you just put your intake manifold you could keep it carbed or just wire up the computer and harness and make it TBI...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doc_rage: thanx for the advice. should i just look for another engine like a 3.4 or 350? i dont want anymore trouble with the engine i just want something to drive right now. i dont think it woud be a good idea to drive my truck with the knocking noise. what engine should i get? ohh yeah b4 i forget my truck has really slow pickup i almost have to have the pedal 3/4 of the way down for it to pick up speed is that normal?...sorry for all the questions i'm just tryin to find out stuff about engines, i dont know to much about them

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
If you had fuel injection, I would do a 2.8 to 3.4 swap in a heartbeat... How to here: http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=52 I got my 3.4 out of a wrecked 95 camaro from a junkyard for $500. My bud gave me the old injectors out of his 4.3 astro van and helped me with the swap :). Truck is way different in a good way now.

Mike Campbell

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
What up Banchy. The slow-to-go pick up is just the way the 2.8 is (last part of sig). I saw on Ebaymotors.com there was a 3.4L engine for sale. Apparently they say the 3.4 is just a further stroked 2.8/3.1, so the cylinder heads and so on are supposed to bolt right up and be able to work. No modifications are needed to mount it in the stock location "Your 2.8l headers & other bolt on items will fit onto the 3.4l block": The link that Sy2932 just listed is a great source of info! Didn't know it was there.
If you want something to drive right now, I would definitely stay away from doing a 350 swap, unless you're paying someone else to do it, but that would be incredibly expensive. Lot of work involved with that, though people who have done it will say it's not all that bad. Lownslow's engine and trans listed for the price is an incredibly good deal! That would be a definite bolt in and go situation. The 3.1/3.4 idea was just an additional push on my part, since I too suffer the 2.8L blues now and again.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445186419&category=33615
The link that I have posted for the ebaymotors thing is just for additional info. I wouldn't go right away and buy it off of there, but any more info is always good.
At this point, were I back to having a blown engine and not knowing the outcome of my replacement, my knee jerk reaction would have been to get the engine and trans that Lownslow's selling. I'm like you, in that I don't want any hassle and need a vehicle to drive right now, so a stock replacement is the way I would go. However, considering that the 3.1/3.4 is the same amount of work with a better outcome, I would have stepped up if I had known about it (not trying to ruin a sale Lownslow!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info. i'm getting someone else to put the engine in because i dont want the hassle and i really dont know anything about putting engines in. i'm in a bad money situation too so it wont be soon but i'm thinking about getting a 3.1 or 3.4 depends on how it costs. thanks again for all the info

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go to fierowarehouse.com

Fiero's had the 2.8 only it was a high output with big valves.

You can get a complete engine for $275. If you want you can put your S10 top end on the motor, but if you can handle multiport fuel injection on your computer module, you'll get some extra horsepower too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Errrr... nope!

The Fiero starter is on the wrong side since it's a FWD block (unlike the camaro or S10 which is longtitudinal).

Check the name - I know where I'm coming from. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts