S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Chevy S10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced my stock sound system with JBL's both in the door as 6.5's and in the dash as 4x6's. I was thinking that by doing this I would have a better sound quality and bass, which did end up happening slightly. It seems that the doors are taking most of the vibrations from the 6.5's and the bass isn't going where I want it to go, in the cab. Is there any way that I can fix this?

·
6th Incarnation
810 Posts
Sound matting, but I wouldn't go crazy with it personally. I'm thinking about doing a little on the doors & floor boards to reduce noise and vibration. How are you powering the speakers? Is the head unit stock or an aftermarket? All of that will have an impact. Also look for any gaps where they mount up, if not flush use some very thin foam tape.

·
Registered
2000 Chevy S10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sound matting, but I wouldn't go crazy with it personally. I'm thinking about doing a little on the doors & floor boards to reduce noise and vibration. How are you powering the speakers? Is the head unit stock or an aftermarket? All of that will have an impact. Also look for any gaps where they mount up, if not flush use some very thin foam tape.
I Have everything connected to the same stock wires that the truck came with, no amp or anything like that.

·
6th Incarnation
810 Posts
Another suggestion I would give is to check the mount angle of the door speakers. For whatever reason I got 2 sets of adapter plates with my last speaker order, and 1 set had a 5° or 10° angle which allowed me to point them toward me a little better. Add to that the foam tape I mentioned and the difference is noticeable, with or without an amp.

This is overkill but the guy is very thorough and shows you what helps seal/direct the sound:

·
6th Incarnation
810 Posts
From a different video, same person. This must be a 3D-printed adapter. Looks beautiful and it moves the speaker closer to the grille which would also help.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
986 Posts
cheap base boost- with your windows up and the inner door panels remove- spray the inside of the OUTER door shell with rubber undercoating two LIGHT coats- works like the sound matting- try NOT to spray the window tracks.- let dry unassembled overnight

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
125 Posts
You said you have the single cab? if thats the same size as mine you can fit 2 10 inch kicker comp c's and an amp behing the seats, or just one in the middle. For that extra bass you want the kickers work pretty well in my cab.
thers a link if you want to check them out, only $150 a piece.

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
125 Posts
I Have everything connected to the same stock wires that the truck came with, no amp or anything like that.
When i first got my truck it still had the original sound system, i changed all the speakers first and it sounded better but still sounded like garbage, it wasnt until i changed the head unit that i noticed a massive difference. Try getting a better/newer head unit, the extra power may help clear up your speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts