S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my 88 s10 blazer 4.3 never bothered to flush out the coolant system. It has a ton of build up, sludge, scale etc etc. possibly multiple types of antifreeze and hard tap water. Are there any products available which would do a good job of flushing out the system?

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
do you have any problems now ? if not = take the stat out and put the neck back on. open the drain on the radiator. put a garden hose in the radiator & turn it on. turn the "heat" on. start the engine and drink a few beers. maybe rev the engine now & then.

fill with proper anti-freeze.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the only problem right now is that it's running rich. I though maybe there is some build up on the temp sensor causing it to fail. I will try that, not as easy as it sounds with ice and snow everywhere, but I will figure it out. I don't think that is going to do much for the scale problem, I should have been more specific, which is why I asked if there is any product to help flush it out. Having bad thoughts of water passages being restricted with this scale etc.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not sure about this, guy at work told me this. He uses Drano to clean out the radiator. Put in half a bottle, drive around for 20 minutes and drain and flush. Says it cleans out the scale and won't hurt any metal or hoses. Maybe???

·
Registered
481 Posts
actually drano might work it doesn't hurt the metal drains in your house i don't know about the hoses though might affect them.. but u could use it thn replace hoses because if he didn't flush the system then you know those are the original hoses and they need to be replaced...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, any other thoughts on drano? While on that subject why not CLR, would that work or would it be too diluted? The hoses are not bad, the guy had the dealer install a new gm 4.3 v6 at 100k miles, spent big $ on it but never bothered to take care of it except oil changes after that point. The hoses are not original, they changed them with the swap. Not in bad shape, I would replace them but my budget is tight not to mention that's a bit of a project to do outside in the freezing weather aka would like to avoid it for now if I can unless that's the only way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.