S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,ve heard so much stuff about what tranny to use and dont know where to go with a discision.What is the easest swap to do?The truck is a 2.8 82 s-10 pickup with a 4 speed manual and i want to keep it stick.Its going to put out about 320hp with the 350 and i'm stumped on what tranny to use.Can somebody help me please

·
Suicide Hood Guru
528 Posts
You can use a 5-speed out of a Camero or Firebird... I'm fixin to use one outta 91 Firebird...only thing you will have to modify is the hole in the floor cuz the shifter is further back on the tail shaft. So if you have bucket seats, it will sit nice. If you have a bench seat and you dont wanna modify the floor, you could use a T-5 outta full size truck...

·
Suicide Hood Guru
528 Posts
you can use the shifter that comes with the t-5. I got mine from my friends junk yard, or you can get a hurst shifter for it.. and the shifter location is about 6-8 inches further back...

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
The only problem with using the t-5 out of an F-body is that they're weak. So if you plan on taking it to the strip or getting on it pretty hard, be prepared when you rip through 1st gear and have to rebuild/replace it. I'd go ahead and get a heavy duty rebuild kit for it. Or you could just go ahead and get a T56 cause it'll handle well over 450 or 500 hp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is a t56 tranny the one out of a camaro or is it a aftermarket one? Whats a good price for one thats used I called a couple of junkyards and the cheapest one was $700 and thats used.

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
The T56 was used in the z28 and trans am/forumula. 700 is a pretty good deal for one. If you get one make sure you get one from a 93 to 97 LT1 car.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
Do you want to stay with a manual?

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
yeah, I forgot to put WHY in front of that. Sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xtreme03 said:
The T56 was used in the z28 and trans am/forumula. 700 is a pretty good deal for one. If you get one make sure you get one from a 93 to 97 LT1 car.
Is there alot of fab work involved other than where the shifter goes or does it all bolt right up?

·
WANTED: 4" Bodydrop
686 Posts
Xtreme03 said:
Or you could just go ahead and get a T56 cause it'll handle well over 450 or 500 hp.
i think it can hande like 7-800 hp but im not sure. its the same tranny they put in trans ams, maros, cobra mustangs, vettes and vipers. and vipers have bout 450-500 hp stock...

late,
richard

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
laynframe said:
i think it can hande like 7-800 hp but im not sure. its the same tranny they put in trans ams, maros, cobra mustangs, vettes and vipers. and vipers have bout 450-500 hp stock...

late,
richard
Yeah...that's why I said "well over" 500...they're good up to like 800....go over to www.ls1.com/forums and there are a bunch of guys pushing 6-700 hp, and not having any problems with their T56s

The T56 out of an LT1 F-body will bolt up to a SBC, so you won't have any problems there. You'll have to cut a new hole in the floor pan, which is probably the easy part. Then you'll have to move your crossmember and drill new holes in the frame wherever it needs to go.....nothing too tough. All of this is probably nothing you won't be used to once you get the engine mounted....and it's well worth it. The T56 is just a stronger, smoother shifting, tranny than any that came in our trucks. I hate mine, the syncros don't make it very easy to shift at high RPMs... I can't wait to swap to a T56.

·
weatherman
2,159 Posts
yes the t56 will bolt up to the ls1. thats the tranny that comes with the ls1. the only thing you'll have to do to put it in your 97 was the things that were already mentioned. if you already have the 5 speed, you'll have to move the hole in the floorboard about 4 inches back. if you have the auto, just cut you a hole. you'll have to adjust your tranny crossmember but it isn't that big of a deal. you'll also have to get your driveshaft shortened. these are really the easy parts of the swap. the rest of it is where it can get a little complicated. i'm in the middle of the swap in my 96.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cool, let us know how it goes. I am in the beginning stages of planning a LT1 or LS1 swap. Heard the LT1 is easier and cheaper. Price as always, will be a factor. Still lots of things to figure out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get a 700-r4 automatic. I have a tci unit that smokes the tires in first and second, behind my built 350. it has a manual/automatic valvebody, which means you can make it shift when you want. If you must have a manual a new venture nv500 is a good bet. The ultimate though is a t-56 from a viper. It will bolt up to a small block with the proper adapters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anybody ever heard of reusing the input shaft on a stock tranny so you dont have to cut a new hole in the floor for the shifter or did i get what i was told f'ed up?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts