S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a tach for my 91 Blazer 4.3L, I was curious if anyone knows what the best shift point would be? I shift at 4.5K but the engine gets pretty loud after that. Does the cam offer any more power after 4.5K? As you can see I have a few mods this mite change the shift points.

·
Registered
88 Posts
4.5k sounds a bit high for a 4.3, i dont have a tach in my james but in my dads fullsize with the 4.3 i think the normal ship point is like 2.5k it cruises at 60 mph at about 1k thats with a 5 spd

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah i just drove the fullsize today and 4.5k is redline so shifting there is bad bad ju ju

·
V6PLUS2
425 Posts
Hey, I shift at 4000-5000 usually. I try to shift at around 5000 to second and like 4300 to third. That is the highest I've taken it except when it saw 5600 on the ice...oops. I say shift at 4500 whenever you get on it, it should be fine.
Joel

·
Registered
88 Posts
ok but im telling ya 4.5k is redline 5k is a high as the tach friggin goes, these arent 4 bangers

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
i let the computer decide lol im gonna be an automatic guy for the rest of my life cuz im too lazy to learn. you can buy an attachment with a light on it that will light up when its time to shift.

·
livin´ underneath
50 Posts
Holy cow you guys really chase your babes! (and suck the gas outta the tank!)
I don't let the automatic shift above 3k, only rarely while overtaking or on hills, and most of the time I shift around 2.2-2.5k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i used to shift my 87 supra turbo at 3k....that was plenty....never needed to downshift to pass...only when I wanted to screw around would I wait...the thing went to 65 in 2nd...turbo kicked in around 3500rpm at WOT so usually never even spooled during normal driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts