S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Back again!!
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im just wondering what the best, but also cheap, ways to increase the power on my 2.8. I have a 4 speed manual and there is nothing done to the engine yet. Im open to doing most about anything, i just dont have too much money to do it.

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Hey tricked, how goes it. The word "cheap" has a lot of meanings to a lot of people. To me, it means costing $5.25 or less. Unfortunately, there ain't much out there.
I ended up getting a hotter ignition coil and 8mm spark plug wires ($88 from Jegs). It did help throttle response, but still slow as hell. Most will say to get the MSD 6 series ignition box (~$150), but then doing a search on this site revealed problems with the boxes burning out. One member noted that he felt the boxes burned out due to overheating, resulting from poor air circulation around the component. He was setting up spacers, etc, to remedy that problem. Almost all stated they felt a big difference in power after getting the box, coil, and upgraded ignition components.
I also installed an electric fan, which was not very much at all. I spent around $90, though I bought a brand new Taurus fan for $80 instead of going to a wrecking yard. Can't honestly say that I noticed any increase in hp or torque at all. Does reduce the worry about overheating considerably though. My gas mileage also increased by a few tenths, revs easier, and is quieter (when the fan is not running).
Then there is always the K&N filter, which should help (don't have one myself). Installing a high-flow cat or getting a cat-back exhaust should help it expunge its nasty air a little better.
Of course, there is the option that I should have gone with (instead of sticking to stock) which is the Edelbrock two-piece intake manifold, which is supposed to give better HP and low end torque numbers, but both pieces would run around $300 or so.
So far, these have been very mild ideas. The next, that someone is bound to put up, is to get either a 3.1L replacement or the 3.4L crate engine....that is a drastic idea, but well worth the money I hear since it's all direct bolt-in.
Anyone else?

·
Back again!!
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking of anything under about $200-300, cuz any higher than that, i might as well just get the 350 and a 5 speed from my friend for 850.

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Heh, true that. Did you mean under $300 total?
The problem with the 2.8 is that you can only do so much. One of the best things under $300 is to get the intake equipment off an eighty-sumpin' fuel injected Camaro with a 2.8 from the junkyard. You would need the manifold, computer harness, etc. There are a few that have done the swap, and it was well under $300 for the parts. I would do a search, or maybe someone who has done this will reply. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
doc_rage said:
The problem with the 2.8 is that you can only do so much.
Sorry but I have to disagree with this statement, as a generality, you can do as much to the 660 as you can to any other engine, just some out of the box thinking is needed, and yes some time to find or make parts. It just depends on how far you want to go, and a little bit of how much you want to spend. Yes there seems to be a limited amount of off the shelf performance parts, at least from the large manufacturers, but there are parts available, for the iron head 660, intakes, headers, if it's carbed, a better carb, TBI upgrades, even using parts as you have said from other vehicles.

If you want to get pretty trick you can swap to aluminium heads and open up so much more potential for power, it does take some forethought and planning to use the aluminium heads though, but it has and can be done.

Also adapting parts from other engines can work out to your benefit if the right parts are used. ;)

I just think that the 660 is one of those engines where the full potential has yet to be tapped, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of people, especially owners of S-series trucks that will spend the time to find that potential. Probably because a V8 will fit somewhat easily, though I do give most V8 S-series a good run for the money. :D

·
Back again!!
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah mine is carbed, if there were parts i could make, i would be in heaven, but im not sure what i would make. I have all the equipment(ie, milling machine, access to cncs, lathe, father is a machinist)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd start with the (previously mentioned?) Edelbrock 4bbl manifold, and about a 500cfm or less carter AFB. Mate that up with an Edelbrock TES (header system), and a good tune-up with some good parts (look into the Mallory Hyfire #6852 instead of the MSD 6A - much cheaper, identical performance!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts