S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My question is what are the best performance mods on a 4.3 5 spd for the price. The best bang for the buck? I dont wanna pour a ton of money into it because i plan on an Lt1 someday.

thanks

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Drop in k&n filter, APC stickers, ???? If you're going to swap a v8 in, I would save all you can and forget modding the 4.3L. Just that much less for the LT-1.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Throttle body blade , gutted air box and a muffler with a turn down and 180*

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
the best thing you can do on a tite budget is some real nice synthetic oil. octane booster also work good. but a k & n or volant would be a great add on along with magnaflow or borla muffler. if you get an HPP III will make shifting better they also say there an increase in torque and hp and mpg but i doubt a big change. a 180 degree thermostat. underdrive pullies. why drop a v8 in when you can turbo charge it and be just as fast and be an underdog...haha. you could put a spoiler on it a bunch of stickers (hey if it gives the ricers hp go for it haha)

·
THE ONE THE ONLY
141 Posts
oh yeah lololol muuuhahaha didn't you guys know that massive wind killing turbulince creating at highway speeds wing is worth atleast 40 HP and 75 TQ and that carbon fiber hood is atleast worth 65hp and 95tq and oh my god the ugly sideeffects are actuly worth 100hp and almost 130tq and heres the big one kiddys those fast and furouis stickers that cover the car are worth over 210hp and close to 345tq......hahaha well that had to get those horsepower numbers from some where cause their ain't no way in hell an every day person is gonna be able to transplant in a engine from an indy car...cause thats the only 4 cylinder that i've seen make that much horepower

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
just easy stuff, cold air intake, exhaust system. the octane booster boosts your gas by about 1/3 an octane (there were a few threads on that a while back). just save up for the LT1.

·
Registered
610 Posts
if you are going to swap it out, then dont bother, like the others said and go for an LS1, i hear they are lighter and produce more HP...

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
ObeKinkyOne said:
transplant in a engine from an indy car...cause thats the only 4 cylinder that i've seen make that much horepower
all indy f1 cars run 8cyl engines bro...trust me i watch too much Speed channel and ESPN :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can any one explaine what a Throttle body blade, a 180* thermostat and synthetic oil will do for you?

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
And whats a gutted air box?

·
THE ONE THE ONLY
141 Posts
oh opse i was thinking of the little ones umm i can't think of what their called????argggg i'm thinkin formula 2??? i think thats it

·
THE ONE THE ONLY
141 Posts
TB mod....more air = more power(ummm duhh) and synthetic oil...less friction more=more power (once again duhhh) and fianly 180 themo a colder engine is a happy engine( good lord duhh)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh so a Throttle body blade is a "TB Mod"? Thanks for clearing that one up. Well how does it give you more air? Does the oil make any noticable difference?

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
ObeKinkyOne said:
TB mod....more air = more power(ummm duhh) and synthetic oil...less friction more=more power (once again duhhh) and fianly 180 themo a colder engine is a happy engine( good lord duhh)
dude take it easy on him....he asked these questions cause he doesn't know about them..u don't have to shove it in his face

·
Turbos and Naws
608 Posts
dynomax catback 101.95
drop in k&n

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
gutted air box?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Air Box Mod
http://www.sshotrods.com/performance/gmtruck/s10/new4.3/airbox/

Here are some free/cheap mods.
tb mod - free
modified air box - free
lower temp t-stat - $6
egr restrictor - $0-$27
K&N filter - $5 off Ebay or $45 new
remove precat - $0-$30
synthetic fluids - $0-$50
junkyard e-fan - $0-$50

The most noticeable for me were the air box mod, tb mod & egr restrictor together, and remove precat. These mods along with pulleys and HPP3 dropped a second off my quarter mile times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts